Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Gearing Up
 New to camping and need some help....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Gearing Up: Previous Topic New to camping and need some help.... Next Topic  

catscharm74
outbound

35 Posts

35 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  09:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well new in the fact that I haven't slept in a tent in over 20 years Would anyone have a list of basics I would need for a family of three, including what kind of tent to get and what types of food, clothing, medical supplies, cooking items, I might need and what brands you recommend?

We are going to start by just camping close to civilization to get the hang of it then move out further.

Thanks.

To the woods,

Heather

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  12:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MaryJane has all sorts of easy camping meals - the one-pan deserts are a MUST (esp with kids)

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

"The earth is your grandmother and mother, and she is sacred. Every step that is taken upon her should be as a prayer." - Black Elk, Lakota
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  2:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Heather!

Great questions. It depends on what type of camping you want to do.

Do you want to go hang out at campgrounds or established camping sites? Do you want to backpack in to a not established camping site? How long do you want to be gone? Is your vehicle going to be close by or parked and unreachable for every little thing?

One thing to consider for camping-even in summer- is that Cotton can be a dangerous choice. Wet cotton can wick away body heat extremely fast. This can be nice on a hot day, but deadly at night. Especially when you are laying on or close to the ground where more of your body heat is going to be leached away. Wool sweaters and shirts are great though since they actually can become warmer if they are wet (I still prefer mine dry though). Most camping experts recommend that you go with synthetic fibers and wool for outdoors wear.

Consider buying lightweight foam pads for sleeping bags. Laying on these helps decrease how much body heat is lost to the ground at night.

Of course you need a small water proof contatiner for matches and such. My family always uses empty film canisters. We put the matches inside a good baggy and then put that inside the film canister.

A water purification pump is a good investment.

I suggest a good first aid kit with MoleSkin. MoleSkin is a tan semi adhisive pad that you can cut to put over sore spots on feet and such to help prevent and heal blisters.

You can buy some great little propane stoves that make cooking a bit more reliable and a few well chosen camp pots and pans can do a lot in a pinch.

Hope that gives you a starting point.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
outbound

35 Posts

35 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  1:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. For now, we will be doing the established campgrounds. We like to hike and swim and just enjoy nature. My son, even at 1, already is noticing the animals. We have been "practicing" with tents in the house made out of blankets. I am trying to teach him to sleep on a mat but he is so active and squirmy. I hope he settles down within the next year or we will be dragging a pack and play with us. LOL!!!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  3:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The good thing about camping is that the tent zips up so the tent effectively can become a pack'n'play for all three of you :)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/MaryJane's Farmgirl

11 Posts

Meg

11 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  9:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elizaray's suggestions are great. We bought the same brand of sleeping bags so that they zip together to make one big one and we can plop our little one down right between us...well, I have yet to test it out...so I'll let you know if it's bad idea or not as soon as we try it...but the sleeping bags that zip together were nice before we had her.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  2:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meg-

Please let me know how that works out for you when you go camping. We need to get some sleeping bags and if the zip together ones work well with a little one I will seriously consider that type.

I am also looking into some of the sleeping bags that are designed specifically for women, but I am worried that they would not be big enough for my little one to sleep with me.

I wonder if they make toddler sleeping bags. Perhaps that would be a good sewing project. Perhaps layers of fleece with waterproofed nylon cover?

What do you ladies think?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Gearing Up: Previous Topic New to camping and need some help.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000