Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Kids in the Wilderness
 Tips for taking wee ones hiking?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic Tips for taking wee ones hiking? Next Topic  

Meg
Moderator/MaryJane's Farmgirl

11 Posts

Meg

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  09:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first signs of spring are poking through the mud and hubby and I are getting excited for camping. But this year it will be much more of an adventure than it's ever been. Our little Stella is just over 4 months old and we can't wait to show her the beauties of nature. We have a couple of car camping trips planned for the summer and are working on a short backpacking trip (a long weekend and maybe 5 miles). We invested in a very nice Kelty pack for carrying her and I figure I'll carry her and hubby can get most everything else in his pack.
But any tricks anyone can pass along on taking a 6 - 8 month old out, I'd love to hear? I am learning the best parenting advice we've received is from those of you that have been there done that.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  08:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never tried backpacking with such a little one. Hauling those diapers in (and out: ) seemed a little overwhelming, but we did do a lot of tent camping with the kids.One of our fondest memories is off the kides in their little sleepers running around land before bed. After Jim got his first job the first thing we did was buy 40 acres of woods to get away from the big city. Best thing we ever did. Campgrounds were getting so crowded. We once camped in the fall in our little tent and the person next to us was in a conversion camper/van--they ran the motor off and on all night! Haven't they heard about sleeping bags. Don't want to think how much exhaust we inhaled that night. Happy camping!
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
outthinking

7 Posts

Tasha-Rose
Minnesota
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  7:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure you are cloth diapering-correct me if I am wrong-but actualyl camping and hiking with babes is easier than one might think-even with the dipes...especially if you are using cloth dipes. You wash all the soiled dipes when you stop for the night, hang them to dry and poack them back up in the am. easy peasey!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  07:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The best thing you can bring along is patience. As Tasha said, diapers are no big deal, food is a non-issue (for Stella), and warm jammies are a given. The thing you have to remember is that little ones have no interest in itinerary - comfort and curiosity are key. My 8-month old Sam, like his sisters before him, loves riding in his Kelty pack. Sometimes he'll just hang out for hours while we garden or hike, watching the world around him and taking cat naps. Other times, though, he'll tell us he's HAD IT. He'll fuss and squirm till we pull him out. We've learned that focusing on a goal usually results in frustration, and everybody's happier if we just play outings by ear. You're a natural, Meg - you guys will have a wonderful time!
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/MaryJane's Farmgirl

11 Posts

Meg

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  3:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the diaper thing seems the biggest hassle, but you're right, on a warm August day diapers will dry in the sun no problem. And I can ler her run around (well, not exactly run or even walk) naked all day too. Minimal diaper usage. For sleeping, I was thinking we'd just plop her between us in our sleeping bags, ours zip together? And, yes, we already inherited some warm fleecies for camping, jammies are important.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  08:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The biggest bulk that I am worried about with camping with my little one is the blankets. Even around the house I always seem to have at least a couple of blankets in use.

For you experienced mommies- Did you take a few blankets along or just rely on warm clothing?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic Tips for taking wee ones hiking? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000