Author Wildlife Encounters: Previous Topic witness... Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  1:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"All secrets are witnessed," writes Barbara Kingsolver in her novel, Prodigal Summer.
The day my husband Chris bent to his knee, wildflowers in hand, and proposed marriage at the foot of Montana's Mormon Peak, I would never have guessed that anybody was around to hear me cry. But as we hiked on, hand in hand, we nearly stumbled in to a bull moose calmly grazing behind a veil of saplings at the edge of the trail.
As far as I'm concerned, his holiness married us right then & there!
(It wasn't until years later, in a southern Missouri courthouse with a fussing toddler, that we tied the knot on paper)

Meg
Moderator/MaryJane's Farmgirl

11 Posts

Meg

11 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  3:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen~ how beautiful...made me smile picturing all THREE of you.

My hubby asked my dad's permission to marry me while on a backpacking trip with my family. We all hiked about 6 miles in, this was his first hike with my family. The two of them ventured off the next day to find a good fishing hole. On the walk back (he recalls it being one of the longer walks he's been on getting up the nerve to ask) he tried to casually bring it up. My dad was in front and my hub recalls seeing him flex both hands before responding. He thought for sure my dad would arrive back at camp with no recollection of what had happened to my boyfriend. Needless to say he got an approval. But looking back at the pictures from that trip it is quite noticeable that the pack my dad lent my hubby was about twice the size as everyone elses and I would imagine the same in weight as well. My dad still thinks he's pretty funny loading Lucas up with most of all our meals and the tents too. Guess he passed the test!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  2:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How funny, Meg! I'll bet our husbands will be at least as tough on the next generation of suitors, don't you?? Chris already bristles at the thought!

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

"The earth is your grandmother and mother, and she is sacred. Every step that is taken upon her should be as a prayer." - Black Elk, Lakota

Edited by - Jen on Jan 30 2008 11:55:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  7:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh gosh........ the first day I went out with my husband we went to the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau Alaska. I was not really up for a relationship but I was definitely in his sights. Anyway, a lone black wolf walked towards us and stared me straight in the eye. He was not a regular there at that time. I'm not sure why, but I felt at that moment we were really meant for each other..... that it was some kind of totem, message.

He (the wolf) is known as Romeo these days...... he frequents the glacier, alone.

Paul is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I got him and Alaska and the wilderness. He is my best friend!

I love your stories!! jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  12:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That gives me chills, Jo.

Hey, I read about a wolf called Romeo in Alaska magazine a while back. Is he the same guy?
Here's a link to an NPR story about him:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/2008/01/romeo_update_wolf_photographer.html

Sadly, I also read that a black wolf suspected to be Romeo was killed. Did they ever find out for sure?

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  9:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think my husband ever asked my Dad's permission to marry me, but when we moved into our first place away from home, my Dad and then boyfriend had a chore to do- make us a bedstead for the mattresses that we brought. Take about tense at first! Then I came in to the room to see how they were doing, and my dad asked me what I thought of the bed as it was coming together. I said "Great", and he said "I think we should add some more cross-bars so it can hold more weight and motion- what do you think"! Talk about an embarassing moment! But that bed certainly was well built. In fact we could have stood it on end, encased it with dry wall and it would have been strong enough to be a load-bearing wall! LOL

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  1:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha!!! That is too funny, Elizaray! My dad never gave us permission either, but it wouldn't have done him much good to say no after we'd already been traveling the wild west together for 5 years

Jen

Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  4:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Over the past four years Romeo has been "acclimatized" to humans. People come out to see him and sometimes even let there pets play there...... too weird. It was another wolf that was thought to be Romeo that was killed. The person who shot him was prosecuted, as to Romeo...... he still roams the glacier. We were one of the first few people to see him, but I regret that he has become too accustomed to folks. He is a beautiful little wolf though..... jo
p.s. I think that people that take their little dogs there are quite nuts, they're just part of the food chain to him, no more no less!

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html

Edited by - blueberries in alaska on Feb 11 2008 5:00:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  08:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exactly! I remember reading that, too, as if they think it's some sort of mystical experience to watch their dogs "play" (and get eaten by?) a wolf.

So neat that you guys live in an ecosystem where big predators are still free roam. Long live Romeo & all his kind.

Jen

Go to Top of Page
  Wildlife Encounters: Previous Topic witness... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000