Author Backcountry Sports: Previous Topic motorized "sports"   

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  2:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's your take on ATVs & snowmobiles in the backcountry? Vent, please!

catscharm74
outbound

35 Posts

35 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  2:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, after having lived in the Adirondacks for several years, I think the use of atv's and snowmobiles for sport has gotten out of control. I know several people who live in the woods and use them to get out to the road to vehicles on bad, snowy days or emergencies, but that is all. Most use them to "sight see" and are ruining the natural setting, veering off into the woods where there are no paths and revving around all hours of the night. We even had 2 sink in the pond after they idiots decided to race across a semi-frozen pond at 2 in the morning. They had to drain the pond in the spring to get them out. I think they disturb the peace and quiet most people are looking for in the woods or parks or wherever they are.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
outbound

16 Posts

N..C. Washington
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  9:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. With motorized sports, they are not there to enjoy the environment, but rather to see what their engines can do. All they need is open space somewhere, so it's unfortunate that this is in the wilderness.

I have a very nice neighbor who is big-time into snowmobile racing. He's got the biggest, baddest engine out there and can beat anybody. But, the question I keep coming back to is, "Why? What's the point?"

It's a difference in philosophy, I think.
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  9:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree also. We live next to a huge tree farm when hiking, biking and horseback riding are permitted but nothing motorized. thank goodness. Even the horses are not allowed on the trails from November to april because of damage to the the trails themself and anything trying to grow. But the forestry roads can be used. It seems to me that a lot of the off road people think it is great to run at night. That is when a lot of accidents happen. As for 'the biggest & baddest" I agree with Clare--What's the point? MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  11:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't get snowmobiles lol

I guess ours in the seadoo that weaves in and out of swimmers,towing water skiiers,flying into shallow waters at full speed... not obeying wake laws...fouling the estuaries.

They use atv's to patrol beaches.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  6:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I want to know is - what happened to getting away from all the noise & exhaust? People are getting so lazy & overstimulated, I think, that they've forgotten the beauty of quiet& a good bloodrush through the muscles. I agree there is a definite place for these machines, esp when it comes to emergencies, but they're being overused. Wildlife in the backcountry can barely get a break, and in winter, that stress can be deadly. When my hub & I lived as caretakers on an island wildlife refuge, we saw a lot of disturbance by jet skiers too. When the machines came close to shore, they'd flush birds from their nests, leaving them vulnerable to predation, and they'd scare harbor seals into a frenzy, which can result in crushed pups.
Unfortunately, the motorized recreational crowd is getting so numerous that they're gaining legislative weight. The government powers-that-be are bowing as they open the gates into our precious wild areas.
Ok - I'm done!
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  08:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As someone who sails and paddles... I sure don't want to hear the lapping of the water at the gunwales silenced with engine noises.

Oooo but they do feel like they are getting away, they are out on the water. Something they wouldn't be if they had to paddle, hoist a sail, or swim. I think you hit the nail on the head with the blood rush to their muscles. That would equal work... didn't it take effort enough for them to get off the couch lol
Doesn't it start tho with us letting them take PE and recess away from our children? Nobody is even thinking of moving muscles?

How do you feel about the mountain bikes? Muscles are burning, No engine noise, tho they still are tearing up trails.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  08:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Ellen - too much of anything is a bad thing, and since there are just too many people (who are bigtime overconsumers), moderation is hard to come by.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
outbound

35 Posts

35 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  08:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I call it the lazy way to enjoy the outdoors- no effort but the scenery wizzes by you at break neck speed.

I know at a camp in the adirondacks, they are having problems motivating kids to do outdoor activities because they involve using the mind and muscle. Sad!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  3:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear you. When we first moved to AR in Oct, our daughter Rita started kgarten at a school where PE was offered 1 day a week & often consisted of discussions about stuff like the food pyramid (which, in my opinion, is bogus anyway)! We moved over here to Calico Rock, not expecting much out of a smaller, even more rural school, but she now has PE 2x per week and runs laps each time in preparation for the mile. Hallelujah!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  1:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you ladies. I really hate to have my nice peaceful recreation spoiled by a revving motor.

Recently I was asking a co-worker who claims she loves to camp and "rough it" where some good camping sites are in the area. She proceeded to rattle off all these camp groundy type camping spots and was totally confused when I told her I would prefer to camp where there are no camp grounds, no motorized access and most of the trails are made by animals!

I think it is sad that she was confused and had no idea that there are places like that! Since when did forcing and adrenaline rush become the only way to entertain yourself in the backcountry?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Backcountry Sports: Previous Topic motorized "sports"   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000