Author Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic Compost! Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  2:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just started a compost pile last night - the first ever. Never knew rotten veggies, hay & chicken poop could be so fulfilling! Can't wait to "feed" it to our fruit trees & garden.

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  2:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen- I don't think you will regret you decision. Composting really can be a ton of fun! I love to turn a compost pile and feel all that great heat radiate out from them as they break down all that veg matter. That and seeing things go from "waste" to usable compost is amazing!

If your area is worm-poor I would suggest going and buying some earthworms from a bait shop to toss onto a compost heap. Earthworms are not the best composters but they are wonderful movers and will help to slowly "stir" your heap for you. You can also order red worms online which are the garbage eaters that can really speed up your composting.

Have fun!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Elizaray! We've transplanted some big worms from the far corners of our land to the compost heap & garden, but we were thinking we could use more...

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  2:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how high is the pile?

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  05:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right now it's about 2-3 ft high & 3-4 ft wide. I read it' ssupposed to be at least 3x5 ft to function efficiently, but we're getting there. I'm off now to check out a book called Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza on Amazon.

Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  03:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a friend here who is known by her jars: chickens can process food.

We corralled our *pile* with 7 salvaged pallets.3 across back w/4 to divide into 3 sections to separate and mix wastes. first is the oldest brew middle is animal waste,last is the sticky, needle, weed.
How did you set up yours?

I noticed yesterday I got pumpkins coming up outside the middle one. Debating letting them grow where they are planted or moving to a bed.

I never read the Lasagna book. Tho I suspect it is how we have to do most gardens here with our sandy soil. Layer on Layer and more Layering on the mulch! Mulch literally disappears before our eyes.

I had a newspaper route and would invariably get over supplied with extras of the ad inserts by the bundles. I dumped these like sandbaggs around an edge, backfilled over top. A 2' pile of papers disintegrated adding good fiber soil.

The Humanure Handbook was a good read. Are you using septic?
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  4:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow! It must be fun to watch that sort of composting happen so fast! I think it is fun to build up a nice big compost heap and just let it get cookin! I love turning them by hand and watering them. I know it is kindof geeky- but I am just facinated by the process! Turning trash into treasure!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  12:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep-septic. At this point in my life, that's as creative as I want to get with human manure!
I was just thinking today, as my mailbox was jammed with local ad newspapers, that these might could be ripped up & composted. So, thanks for the tip, Ellen, I'm gonna do it.
We're relocating our pile from this year's garden area to our open-sided horse stall at the barn, which is already covered in old horse manure, can be worked more easily, is a bit closer to the house, and is also closer to where we think we'll put the garden next year.

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  5:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone mowed down the wild part of my lawn where my fledgling compost heap was. I am not sure who... I am a bid sad that my compost heap got mulched, but I am glad that someone took care of the high grass. I guess I can always start another heap :)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic Compost! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000