Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Backcountry Bookshelf
 Read & Ramble: Book Discussions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Read & Ramble: Book Discussions Next Topic
Page: of 5

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  1:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I absolutly love MaryJane's book. My fiance bought it for me as we walked through a Hastings. As we walked by the display (it had just been released) I promised myself I wasn't going to look to hard- I wasn't going to even pause. I desperatly wanted the book but we were on a VERY tight budget and I didn't want to torture myself. Without a pause, he picks up this beautiful book and walks casually over to the check out counter. It was a "Just 'cause" gift.

Each time I pick up her book I find a new something that I didn't see before or a new insight that seems to resonate with my life at the moment. I love to pick up her book.

I also love to hear what other people are getting from books because often a different way of seeing things brings even more insight.

So I have and idea/proposition. We "Out There" women should start a online book club. And since we all love MaryJane I think the initial book should be hers!

I think we should pick a day of the week to discuss the book and pick the next book. Of course we can talk about each book for as long as we want and could even start a new topic for each one if we like.

Let me know what you think and if you would like to join up

Elizaray

Edited by - Jen on Jun 12 2007 05:34:04 AM

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  07:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fun idea, Elizaray - I'd certainly like to give it a shot! Given my 15-min-before-I-fall-asleep reading schedule, I may be limping behind, but I'm game anyway! And MJ's book sounds like a great place to start.

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - Jen on Apr 10 2007 07:59:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful :)

I am sure that your insights will be a wonderful addition. I am not sure how much "sit-down-and-read" time I will have, either. So I figure we can be very non-pressured about reading.

I plan on trying to read a little bit every day.

Perhaps once this really gets off the ground we could break MaryJane's book up and read a section at a time instead of the whole book right off the bat?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  07:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since this forum is just fledging, we definitely want everyone's input on how it should take shape. So, does anybody else have thoughts/suggestions re: Elizaray's book club idea?
I love the concept. My first inclination, though, is that it shouldn't become overly "farmy" (ha!) because MJ's Farmgirl Chatroom has that whole scene down pat. Maybe we could stick to the Outpost section of MJs book?? And then kinda focus on more wilderness-oriented books, like Anne LaBastille, Annie Dillard, etc. There are a bunch of good ones by men, too.
Pipe in, ladies, and share your thoughts....
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  07:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Jen- I think focusing on other "outpost"ish books after MaryJane's is a great idea.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  6:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just re-reading the the section about the wall tents. Have any of you built a wall tent before? If so- was it a permanent one or a portable one? Any recommendations?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  11:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never built one, but stayed in one at MJ's farm & LOVED it. What a cool idea - all the luxury of indoors (including a wee woodstove), but all the air, scents, & sounds of outdoors. Have seen a lot of wall tents at elk camps in the mountains out West. They'd make a great playhouse for the kids (and the grownups - a place to escape when the grandparents are here to watch the young'ns!).

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  8:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to get a portable wall tent so I can spend more time in the Outback, but all the ones I have seen are really expensive. The other option of course would be to make one completely by scratch but I don't think my sewing machine could handle the heavy duty canvas.

Elizaray

Edited by - Elizaray on Apr 20 2007 8:37:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  12:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alaska tent and tarp has awesome wall tents for around 180-400, you can add a little charcoal heater that works great! It's a fun website. jo

http://www.alaskatent.com/

Edited by - blueberries in alaska on Apr 21 2007 12:44:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  10:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo-

I will have to keep that in mind when I have that much! I think it's a tad out of budget right now, but possibly later this year! Thanks so much for the link. I will have to add that to my "Favorites".

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Lily
outbound

28 Posts

Lily
Moss Landing California
USA
28 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  9:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to be part of a book club / discussion! I don't have much extra time either, but if we kept it "non-pressured" like Elizaray said then I think I could work it into my life. What do you ladies think -- would we focus on non-fiction, or maybe read some fiction too?
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  2:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lily-

I love all books, so I would be willing to read anything. Some of the first books that really got me interested in hard-core camping and survivalism were fiction like "My Side of the Mountain" and "Island of the Blue Dolphin"

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Lily
outbound

28 Posts

Lily
Moss Landing California
USA
28 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  12:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,Island of the Blue Dolphins was such an important backdrop to my childhood fantasies! I spent a lot of time with my father in Mexico and I remember how my sister and I would pretend that we were stranded on the beach with the wild dogs. We’d pretend to use tools and make clothing out of sand dollars, clam shells, strands of kelp, and chunks of pumice. Recently I read that book to my 6-year old and she was mesmerized. What a great story! I also have fond memories of the Little House series.
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  3:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are several books from my childhood that dealt with living with wolves as well. I remember one was Julie of the Wolves but I will have to find the others.
Some old books that we picked up at a library book sale were
Toyon: A dog of the North and His People
and
Silver Chief

I loved those as well. Anyone ever read those?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  07:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live on an island with blue dolphins.

From book club I'm in... we meet once a month here on the island... when the year starts... we suggest books ...then we vote from the list and the 12 highest votes are the books we decided on to read.

Who ever suggested the book, is our leader.And we go in alphabetical order of leaders to decide which book order.

So then we meet back up and talk about the book.Often this morphs from feelings to further interactions the story or facts/debate lend themselves to.

What I think would be interesting to do, since we don't have to wait to meet until the end of a month, ...is we could be talking about the book or characters/chapters as we read them.And asking questions about surprises right away. By the time a month is past ... I have to go back and reread books practically before the meeting... to touch base on those ones you breeze through because you couldn't put it down.

I am a reader so I am game for whatever we do. I just wish we could share snacks lol
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great! Lets make a list of books we want to read then!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  1:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just started reading Kingsolver's new [i/]Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and so far it's a book I hope EVERYONE reads. So, that's my current vote, but I'm up for anything! (Loved Island of the Blue Dolphins[/i] too. Re-read it to my daughters last year & was struck by how much it reminded me of my life on Protection Island - minus the wild dogs!).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Read & Ramble: Book Discussions Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000