Printer Friendly
Author Wildlife Encounters: Previous Topic Deer in the day time Next Topic  

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  8:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
White tail deer have amazing hearing. So one day as I was wandering through the woods I was suprised and awed that about 20 feet away was a family group of white tailed deer laying down to escape the hot summer heat. I paused and grabbed a near by Juniper tree to steady myself so I wouldn't make more noise than necessary.

The male of the group looked at me and studied me as if trying to decide if I was a threat. We stared at each other for what felt like forever. Then as if they had spoken to each other they got up and bounded away deeper into the forest. I got the sense that they weren't afraid of me, but rather that they were just going somewhere a bit quieter.

I was completely awed and just sat down for a moment as the reality of what I had just seen sunk in. I eventually made my way over to their wallows. I remember pressing my hand into the stag's wallow and feeling a tiny bit of residual body heat and finding a few whisps of shed fur.

I hope I never forget that memory or those feelings!

Elizaray

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  11:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We were driving to town yesterday & my husband caught sight of a deer lying down in some tight saplings just up the road from our house. I stopped & he got out to peek, and as I watched, I could see something flopping strangely. My first thought was that it was injured, but it jumped up & I still saw an odd movement where it had been. Chris said, "It looks really wet on the ground up there." Suddenly, it all fell into place in my brain: springtime, doe down, wetness - birth! Chris jumped back in the car & we took off, hoping mama would return promptly for her newborn.
Sometimes I think that if we humans were a little less, well, human that the wild world might be better off!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  4:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I hope the momma came back for her baby!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Wildlife Encounters: Previous Topic Deer in the day time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000