Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Coming Home to the Land
 Chickens on the way!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic Chickens on the way! Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  07:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been planning my 1st chick purchase more carefully than I planned any of my 3 kids - studying like crazy! I've gone back & forth between local sellers & mail-order, and last week I started checking hatcheries again 'cause I'm feeling pretty particular about which breeds I want. My main concerns are gentleness (with my kids), egg laying, and rarity. So, I stuffed my virtual shopping cart full of 6 Light Brahmas, 5 Americanas, and 5 White Jersey Giants from Cackle Hatchery (it's closest to me). It's very strange to me to order live animals by mail.

I rec'd notice on Saturday that they'll arrive next Sat, so I'm chewing my fingernails again. We'll be starting at the Farmers' Market that day, so we'll have to run home & check for chicks at least once!

As I think I mentioned earlier, I have one lonely black Australorp hen who came with our farm, and I can't wait till the chicks are big enough to keep her company. Anyway, wish me luck as I gather up the gumption to become a mother "hen"

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

countrychick
outbound

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  12:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen,

How did your chicken purchase go? I would love to see pictures. I have been wanting to get chickens but I have been unsure about what type. Like you I would like them gentle. I also need to figure out a coop. I have a wire fence dog kennel that I was thinking about turning into a coop,... just have to figure out how. Anyway I hope next year.

Nikki

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  12:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Nikki, getting the chicks & keeping them alive while confined to a dog kennel proved much easier than I'd expected. We even ended up getting 2 older chicks at the farmers market, so we had an even 20. The trouble is, now that the little peeps are getting bigger (I turned them loose with 3 older girls), they're disappearing one by one. Have lost 2 of the 5 Americanas & 4 of the 5 Jersey Giants to hawks -- not 1 Brahma has been taken, so I'm deducing that they're the "smart" ones. THEN, yesterday, I lost my dear old hen Penny to what I think was a coyote in the middle of the day! I was sad to realize she'd fallen victim to a canine after I'd rescued her twice from my dogs & helped her heal some pretty nasty wounds. So, now I'm considering confining the remainders to their yard (about 15 square feet) -- at least until the predator fixation shifts in some other direction. Farm & learn, I guess. Hopefully, I can help you avoid similar poultry pitfalls!
Will try to post some pics soon...

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  9:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if a statue owl would keep the hawks away? Or get a chicken friendly dog to protect them!

I am so sorry for your loses- that is so sad. Especislly you older hen :(

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic Chickens on the way! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000