New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Into the Wild Next Topic  

countrychick
outbound

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  09:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone read this book. It's about a young man that heads into alaska. I won't go any further if you haven't read it.. But an interesting young man.

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  09:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read it, terrible sad. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

countrychick
outbound

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  11:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes very sad. My heart sinks when I think of the parents. Nikki

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  11:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haven't read it, but I've seen it before. From what little I know of the story, I figure he made his own decisions. But like you said, Nikki, I feel for his parents.

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  9:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen it, but haven't read it. I forget what the book jacket says. Doesn't he go to Alaska and dies?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  7:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious, to the replies that say seen it and haven't read it. How do we know who is awake and who isn't to the truth of their existence? Don't we all die one day?

Is this any different then the decisions so many make when say they run in front of the bulls of Pamplona, dive with the sharks in shark alley or run for Mount Hiei like the marathon monks?

Have you pushed your extremes? Has mother nature pushed you back?

Talk on theplaylist.blogspot.com, Eddie Vedder is doing the soundtrack for the movie due out in Sept. Will ya be in line to see Sean Pean director this one?

Edited by - Ellen on Jul 21 2007 7:25:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As for me, that's what I meant by 'his own decisions' - dying in a bus in the frigid artic may have been his sparkly path to enlightenment. Who knows?
The movie? Maybe. Depends on the reviews I read when it reaches DVD status.
Saw a fairly good one last weekend - Seraphim Falls.

Go to Top of Page

countrychick
outbound

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  2:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing that made an impression on me the most about the young man... is not that he went into the wilderness on his own terms but that he gave away the $40000 he had for law school to charity and left with what he had to stay true to his beliefs. I don't know to many young people or old people that would do that.

Ellen, I think the young man thought he was prepared, eating the wrong seed and not telling anyone where he was... etc.. I don't think he went thinking he would die just exploring like the explorers of long ago trying to live on what the earth provides. The site of his camp had many carcasses of animals he ate... I don't think it's the same as running with the Bulls IMHO. Those to me are thrill seekers knowingly dancing with death. Just a friendly thought not trying to agrue.:)

I didn't know there's a movie out... I'm not always thrilled with the hollywoods sensationalized versions of books... I will have to hear some reviews.
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  9:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw it at a client's house one day and it would have been inappropriate to take their book and read it. Then I forgot about it with all the college reading I had to do.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  12:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd think there are a few of ya out there, shaking your head, I don't mind if ya think and/or write I'm full of beans Niki et al, this is the internettrying to get opinions can leave me green as a bean. I'm not perfect, not a know it all, tho I've played the NO it all at home
(what every mother gets to do with boys)

anywho I'm glad you brought this story up...

*when ya talk about Chris McCandless's act of charity, how do you rectify this action of donating to Oxfam, with the way he treated his own family?

*Is it being selfish to go after our dreams even when to follow your dream entails cutting loved ones off from your life?

The other part of the story that intrigues me is the part about how he is driven to the goal of a living a free life.
*Is this determination to live out his goal, in conflict when in pursuit of his freedom he goes down a path that causes him to lose them?

*Is there a moment when your dreams haven't worked out to your advantage?

*What(who) makes you swerve from your life goals?

Chris isn't alone in a desire for outdoor solitude. Remember there are famous historical wilderness loners -- Henry David Thoreau, Howard Hughes, the ancient Buddhist monks, and the desert hermits who wrote Biblical passages.

*Have you ever ventured off alone?

Sat by a bug colony or body of water and imagined being a scout or explorer and pretended to be there alone?

Has an expanse of nature expanded your capacity of thinking? Despite the isolation of the above loners or Chris do you think they needed the solace nature offers to free themselves to be their own selves... to be free of how others viewed them?

I've worked for an outfitter/taught outdoor classes, been a camp counselor, water director, scout leader and thrill seeker myself. I don't remember too many times thinking, I'm not prepared, when heading out camping, hiking, rockclimbing, sailing, biking, canoeing, kayaking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, hunting, even something as harmless as fishing. Maybe tis sorta why that whole scouting thing about Be Prepared came into being?From what I've experienced over the years, mother nature's knows how to bring the real back into your life. Mother nature will give ya a lesson whether ya are prepared or not that she knows more then you. To me, it is sorta what happened to this young man, to the crocodile hunter, to
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/other_business/article/0,2777,DRMN_23916_4846232,00.html

Aron Ralston (the dayhiker caught by the boulder=guy who chopped off his hand).

I don't want to have to count how many times I have gone off not telling anyone where I was headed .... ooo the tales I have, why me,why are we still here? The grace of the big guy? There is more in store? More to learn, to share? or I'm not even close to the truth yet? or like Ralston there are wilderness areas that need my help in preservation?

Yeah the movie trailer looks good. Emilie Hirsch as Chris, Vince Vaughan playing the Wayne guy from SD. William Hurt is his Daddy.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount_vantage/intothewild/medium.html
into the wild trailer.

btw:I had the sheer joy to meet over 70 college students who are giving up more, than a mccandless,as they signed into public service for our country. truly made my heart feel at ease ...with these hands and hearts and brains directing our futures... unfortunately our media doesn't publicize their lives. This kind of story gets more press.

*Is it maybe because they are doing too much that is right and good and we like reading about things gone bad better?? Tho that maybe be taking this thread into a different direction then you intended??

(editing my hyperlinks)

Edited by - Ellen on Jul 28 2007 12:14:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  2:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did anybody ever end up watching this movie? It's on my list, but haven't seen it yet. Wondered what you thought about it...

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Go to Top of Page
  Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Into the Wild Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000