Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Hunters' Camp
 Warming up for hunting season..........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hunters' Camp: Previous Topic Warming up for hunting season.......... Next Topic  

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  3:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just returned from our inaugural hunting out week.

Tired, bone tired, visit my blog for the latest photos........ I saw the most amazing mushrooms! I'll post more photos soon of them, my husband thought I'd become a mushroom fanatic lying on the forest floor to get the nicest shot.

Ptarmigan chicks were lost last year in a June snow on the Denali highway. We didn't dare shoot a bird. The grouse were plentiful and our dogs ate so many blueberries! You can only imagine the results from that.

I'm off to stir up some sourdough! jo

Wishing you all a plentiful fall, plenty of love, plenty of nature, and plenty of peace.........

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

Edited by - blueberries in alaska on Aug 17 2007 6:35:17 PM

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  12:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds wonderful, Jo (except for the dogs + berries = . I know firsthand because my boxer loves berry picking!).
There's a hunter education class offered next Fri, which I'd need in order to start hunting this year, but I don't think I'm going to take it this time. Too much going with the kids & writing & whatnot.... maybe later in the season. My hub has his work cut out for him to get our sadly empty freezer filled up, though!
Off to check out your photos....

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2007 :  9:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We decided to sit out this hunting season. We need to practice marksmanship so we can kill the animal not just wound it. Hopefully next year we can participate!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  10:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elizaray! I have a PETA approved shotgun! (just kidding)...... our hunting is about 90 percent of sniffing the woods, 9 percent actually looking for game, and possibly 1 percent shooting. Although I really love shooting my shotgun. jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  2:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have hunted before and I abhor people who go out without practicing marksmanship at least a little before hunting. I mean- who wants to wound an animal? The point is to get meat to eat- not to wound the animal and let it run off, right?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  3:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear you, Elizaray. I'd definitely want to feel confident with my weapon before aiming at an animal, but there's always that possibility of miscalculation/animal movement, etc. I'll have to reconcile that stuff too before I hunt to kill. Like Jo said though, so much of hunting is scouting, tracking, sniffing - stuff I love to do. We'll probably camp in the national forest this deer season & make a wild, big-country hunt of it - like we used to do with elk out west.
I just had a story published in Bugle this month, the mag of the Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation, about hunting camp with our 3 youngsters. Funny, trying, exhausting, great stuff!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Hunters' Camp: Previous Topic Warming up for hunting season.......... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000