Author Wildlife Encounters: Previous Topic One lucky bear! Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  2:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A bear was walking across Rainbow Bridge (Old Hwy 40 at Donner
Summit, Truckee, CA) on Sept 15, 2007 when two cars also crossing the
bridge scared the bear into jumping over the edge of the bridge. Somehow the bear caught the ledge and was able to pull itself to safety.
Authorities decided that nothing could be done to help Saturday night so they returned Sunday morning to find the bear sound asleep on the ledge.
After securing a net under the bridge the bear was tranquilized, fell
into the net, lowered, then woke up and walked out of the net.

See pics at http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_7020000/newsid_7020600/7020690.stm

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  4:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a lucky bear indeed. Wouldn't it be nice if all stories ended with such happy endings. Unfortunately I just read about a bear-Grizzly- that had to be put down near Priest Lake, Idaho. It got too use to hanging around people's home. It was caught, collared and released 25 miles away but return a short time later. Wildlife officials put the blame on people who are feeding deer. The bears brother was caught and collared and released in another location. They are hoping he will stay put. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  12:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just watched a video on Arkansas black bears - said that bears have returned from 100+ mile relocations. It's too bad they don't just stay put, but they're smart animals, and I doubt they want to be moved from their home territories any more than we would. Hope that 2nd bear decides he like his new neck of the woods...

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  11:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an amazing story! I am so glad they did not just "mercy-kill" the bear from the bridge. It is always nice to hear stories of people working so hard to save a wild animal!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Wildlife Encounters: Previous Topic One lucky bear! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000