Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Kids in the Wilderness
 this is what we're up against
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic this is what we're up against Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  08:55:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Children detach from natural world as they explore the virtual one
Peter Fimrite, Chronicle Staff Writer

Yosemite may be nice and all, but Tommy Nguyen of San Francisco would much prefer spending his day in front of a new video game or strolling around the mall with his buddies.

What, after all, is a 15-year-old supposed to do in what John Muir called "the grandest of all special temples of nature" without cell phone service?

"I'd rather be at the mall because you can enjoy yourself walking around looking at stuff as opposed to the woods," Nguyen said from the comfort of the Westfield San Francisco Centre mall.

In Yosemite and other parks, he said, furrowing his brow to emphasize the absurdly lopsided comparison, "the only thing you look at is the trees, grass and sky."

Read the rest of the article at http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/10/22/MN15SJ64U.DTL

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  5:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How sad, We belong to the Friends of the Little Pend Oreille Refuge. They started a program to get kids out in the woods. For years the elementary school kids went on a field trip to the bowling alley at the end of the school year. They started a program that allowed the 2nd and 5th graders to take a trip to the refuge and go on a nature walk. Jim and I volunteered to take a group. What we are constantly amazed at is the number of kids who have never been out in the woods. Considering we are surrounded by thousands of acres of forest and are surrounded by mountains. A number of the kids proclaim it's the best field trip we have ever been on. Jim got a kick out of one 2nd grader who wanted to know why the woods were so messy with all the sticks and branches around: ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  1:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You girls will get a kick out of this:
My very intelligent, precocious 1st grade daughter Rita was in class the other day & they were talking about shopping malls. Rita was the only kid in class who didn't know what a mall was & said was pretty sure she'd never been to one. The teacher had a hard time believing her & told Rita to ask me about it. I laughed & laughed - how wonderful is that?!?! We have actually been to a mall once or twice in her 7 years of life, but it obviously didn't leave any big impression on her! Ha!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  2:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for Rita---give her a hug from all of us. Just after we moved here my sister and her daughter came for a visit. Kristina,about 20 at the time, wasn't sure about this since "what would she do (in a small town)I told her we could go to the mall in Spokane one day. We did and I haven't stepped foot in it again for three years. I had to run in to look for something in the mall about a month ago. I couldn't stand it, didn't even get to the second floor just had to leave. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page
  Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic this is what we're up against Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000