Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Backcountry Bookshelf
 New Book: The Fight Over Food
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic New Book: The Fight Over Food Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  9:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might be a bit on the academic side, but sounds interesting....

Title:
"The Fight Over Food: Producers, Consumers, and Activists Challenge
the Global Food System"

Editors:
Wynne Wright and Gerad Middendorf

Publisher:
Penn State Press

Summary:
We are confronting a food and agriculture system that is being
restructured in both subtle and highly politicized ways, from campaigns to prevent animal cruelty, to the now routine on-site protests against the opening of McDonald's restaurants around the world, to the rise in a new entrepreneurial ethos in producers, and a heightened reflexivity among consumers. The essays found in "The Fight Over Food" analyze and evaluate both the theoretical and historical contexts of the agrifood system and the
ways in which trends of individual action and collective activity have led to an 'accumulation of resistance' that greatly affects the mainstream market of food production. The overarching theme that integrates the case studies in this volume is the role of human agency and the ways in which people purposely and creatively generate new forms of action or resistance to facilitate social changes within the structure of predominant cultural norms. Together these studies examine whether these combined efforts will have the strength to create significant and enduring transformations in the
food system. This volume is especially targeted toward classroom adoption with pedagogical aids incorporated with each chapter.

Available for order:
Immediately (shipment date: January 2,2008)

To Order:
Call 800-326-9180 or visit the PSP link:
http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/978-0-271-03274-0.html

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  4:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That actually looks really great! I would love reading that. I am one of those geeky girls that always loves reading her text books. It would not be uncommon for me to read the whole text when the teacher only covered about half the chapters! LOL

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic New Book: The Fight Over Food Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000