Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Coming Home to the Land
 my mom's farm caught fire yesterday...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic my mom's farm caught fire yesterday... Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  7:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My mom & stepdad just moved "home" to the Ozarks in October - they'd been in WA for the past several years. Anyway, they have an extensive menagerie of rescued farm animals that they successfully transported cross-country, and they've settled into their new 40-acre farm so happily. Then, yesterday, there was a WILD windstorm that caused a bunch of fires to get out of control - including one that torched my parents' land. While they were in town grocery shopping, the fire burned their huge shop building & everything they had stored in it, and it even singed their house. Miraculously, though, the house, barn, and all of the animals were unharmed, thanks to neighbors who rallied & held the flames at bay.

Hallelujah!!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  9:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh! Talk about disaster and a heartwarming story rolled into one! I can just imagine their horror as they drove home and realized the smoking farm was their place! I hope they had fire insurance?

Elizaray

Edited by - Elizaray on Jan 30 2008 9:45:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  1:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know they do...just hope it's good coverage!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
outthinking

6 Posts

Heather
Earlville IA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  7:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Jen! That would be so scary! I'm glad their house and animals are all right.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  6:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The wind & temp picked up today, and they actually had some spots of fire rekindle in the woods beside their house. So far, so good - they're on constant alert. Somehow fire never really entered my own personal reality, but this puts it in perspective. Did you gals know that MJ's 1st house on her farm burned years ago? Scary stuff...

Jen

Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
outthinking

6 Posts

Heather
Earlville IA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  10:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I always get freaked out by fire. Sometimes I get paranoid about it. It seems like lots of fires have been taking people's homes this winter.
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  03:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fire is certainly one of those things that we need to respect and honor. We couldn't live in anywhere but the equator without it, but it can do some major damage if not respected. And sometimes all the care, respect, and proper handling just doesn't eliminate all the risk because fire is by nature somewhat unpredictible.

I hope your mom's farm is completely extinquished now. I know where you can find some snow to put out the fires! LOL

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  08:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had our own little experience with fire in December. The cute little sauna my husband built during the year burnt down to the ground. Nothing like looking out your kitchen window and seeing flames shooting out the back wall of your sauna! Be thankful your parents weren't home to see it. I'm telling you there's nothing like standing there helpless. The sound was amazing. Not the nice crackling of a fire in the wood stove more like a angry roar. Luckily it was built away from the house. The charred remains were hard to look at but now they are buried deep in the snow. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  12:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that's a real shame, JoAnn. I was hoping that little sauna was offering you some winter steam. What went wrong? Will Jim build another?

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  1:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim said "design problem". We both had a sauna (separately because he likes it really hot. So I went first and then he cranked it up. I usually go out and sit in the dressing room after to read or whatever because it's so warm. I had to leave since it was too hot. I thought something smelled odd but didn't see anything. Jim usually checks on it after a bit but didn't this time. Yes he will build another one --he's redesigning: ) The weird thing was I called 911 (we have a volunteer fire department) The first truck that came,driven by a neighbor, was a small pumper. When he tried to start the generator to pump the water it wouldn't start. By the time the two big trucks came it was burnt to the ground. I felt sorry for the firemen (and firewoman) they felt really bad. I'm happy no one was hurt and only a dent in our pocketbook happened.
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  5:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will your homeowner's insurance pay for it?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  6:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't even bother to check--wood building, wood stove, high heat--I don't think so. We actually put it together pretty cheap. The only thing that survived was the wood stove : ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
outthinking

8 Posts

Catherine
Houston Area Texas
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  04:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen....I hope your parents are doing better.

Blessings
Catherine

"I love your farm, Aunt Catherine" Aaron
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  11:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Catherine - they're doing great (well, no news from the insurance co. yet, but otherwise great). Of course they're running into inconveniences like missing farm stuff they need, but they'll recover all of that in time. They're just happy that the animals, house, and barn are unscathed!

Jen

Go to Top of Page
  Coming Home to the Land: Previous Topic my mom's farm caught fire yesterday... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000