Author Birdwatching: Previous Topic High Island...the funnel Next Topic  

cajungal
outthinking

8 Posts

Catherine
Houston Area Texas
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  04:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey y'all! I'm new here. Our family loves birdwatching. We started out when the girls were young.....under 5 yrs old. It was more out of equipping the girls with observation skills and sitting still skills than actual birdwatching. We're kinda' self-taught....spot a bird, look it up in the book, mark the date and place.

Our kitchen has a huge bay window that spans from floor to ceiling and overlooks a garden that attracts a myriad of birds, butterflies and bugs. We would sit at the window and be very still waiting for something to come by for a visit. Being still and quiet was a challenge at first but now my girls are able to sit in bushes for hours waiting for a visitor. They've also become quite skilled in sketching and drawing.

Now, for my title High Island....funnel. If you look on a map you'll see High Island, Texas to the east of Galveston. It sits at the base of the Bolivar Peninsula. Tiny little town....the whole school K - 12 probably has less than 100 students. It is an amazing place to observe. There are 4 birding parks in this 2 mile by 2 mile town and only one very small convenient store....have to travel 20 minutes to get to a "real grocery" store.

Over 300 species leave by way of this "door" and come back months later during their migrations. It is amazing! During peak time cars will be parked up and down the farm road for miles. People from all over the world visit High Island.

I grew up my whole life within two hours of this town, passing through every summer to get to the beach. I never knew what a gold mine it was. Because of the location being sorta' in the middle of the southern part of North America, we see species from both the east and the west. For example, Brown Pelicans live from Louisiana and on to the east. White Pelicans live to the west to California. Well, here, when you visit the beach you see both! The same holds true for tons of other birds that visit my yard. We have to look up pictures out of both Field Guides.

Okay.....I'm writing too much....One last story.....My Great Uncle JP, who is now 80, is a fisherman down in the Gulf. He lives just 15 minutes away from High Island. He has many experiences where hundreds of birds will land on his boat, his head, his poles,...everything! This happens most often when birds are migrating back and see his little boat as an emergency stop on the way back to High Island. I ask him, "What did they look like? Color? Beak? Wing?" etc... His reply is, "I don't know. They're a bother to me cra**ing all over me and my boat" I stand with my mouth wide open in shock at how he doesn't know that people would pay for such an experience.

Blessings
Catherine

"I love your farm, Aunt Catherine" Aaron

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  03:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Catherine! What an amazing place that must be! It would be amazing to someday go down and see the migrations! I love bird watching but am a rookie in putting a face with a name so to speak. But I can usually spot them!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
outthinking

8 Posts

Catherine
Houston Area Texas
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  05:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Elizaray. So nice to meet you. During the peak of the migrations, the Audobon society has several bird counts that they host. They're fun but the information is really used for research and information. They meet at the beach or park then train people on how to spot and identify quickly and then send you out for several hours. You report back with your tally sheet and walk away with a huge sense of pride that you just helped with the official bird count. They want everyone to come out....not just seasoned birders....they love when whole families or groups show up. Information on all this can be found at the Houston Audobon Society website.

One of the sanctuaries has a 'rookery' (sp?). You take a long hike to an inland waterway that's an offshoot from the Intercoastal Canal. You end up on a hill/cliff that is right across from the rookery or nursery and the "creek" is between you and the birds. Some small observation decks have been built there and a few telescopes installed. Those telescopes get you right into the nests and every detail can be seen.

Storks, spoonbills, blue herons, snowy egrets and great egrets all have nests in the trees. The trees can hardly be seen because the birds are just all over the place. It is incredible. The noise is almost deafening. Just about every behavior can be observed.....mating dances, nest building, hatching, feeding, fighting with other birds, etc...

We'll sit there and come up with funny dialogues between the birds, "Pardon me, but you are too close to my domicile" reply..."Oh, you fancy schmancy, get over it!" boy "Well, howdy there pretty girl" girl "My momma told me not to talk to cowboys" Goofy but fun!

This up and close experience can be kind of gruesome, too. All along the creek are HUGE alligators just waiting for a baby to fall in the water. Sometimes adult birds get too close to the edge and the gator jumps out the water, sometimes 6 feet high, and snaps the bird right off the branch. Amazing!

Blessings
Catherine

"I love your farm, Aunt Catherine" Aaron
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  12:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Incredible, Catherine. I love being in the presence of bird life, and water birds are some of the most amazing. We're getting some neotropical migrant songbirds now - several songs I don't recognize yet. Spring must be on its way!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  5:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything sounded great until you said "gator" I don't know how brave I would be tramping around bird-watching in gator-infested territory! ;P

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Birdwatching: Previous Topic High Island...the funnel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000