Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Kids in the Wilderness
 Anyone get "Your Big Backyard" magazine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic Anyone get "Your Big Backyard" magazine? Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  12:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do any of you mommas subscribe to Your Big Backyard magazine? It's the National Wildlife Federation's magazine for 3-7 year olds (the younger companion to Ranger Rick magazine). My kids love it.

It's on my mind today because I just started writing little songs for them that appear in the back of the magazine. I've been writing poems for them for years, but this is a new twist. It's tough to come up with nature rhymes that match familiar song tunes, but it's really silly fun.

Check out the magazine's website at:
http://www.nwf.org/yourbigbackyard/kzPage.cfm?siteId=2&CFID=21038238&CFTOKEN=6f2d8996219fad29-F0FF03FE-15C5-5FE8-B083ECCEFF76F302

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - Jen on Feb 08 2008 12:38:27 PM

LeslieAnne
outbound

29 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater TX
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  08:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jen,

Glad you posted this... I gave my 3 year old grandson a subscription to Your Big Backyard last Christmas... I haven't read it myself in a long time, but maybe I should...

The year before, I gave him Wild Animal Baby, NWF's magazine for even younger kids...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  6:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good choice, LeslieAnne! I have always thought that they are THE BEST magazines for kids (ever since I read Ranger Rick as a kid). The Carus Corp. has some good ones too (Babybug, Ladybug, Spider, Cricket, etc.), but the National Wildlife Federation has the market cornered on outdoor education.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
outbound

29 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater TX
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  11:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always like them too... when my son was young (he's 33 now), we subscribed to Ranger Rick...

Thanks for reminding about the Carus Corp.'s magazines... I might have to pick one up next time I go to the bookstore...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page
  Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic Anyone get "Your Big Backyard" magazine? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000