Author Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic The Amazon   

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  08:09:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The most adventurous trip I've taken abroad was part of a biology extension class my junior year of college. It was the 1st-ever offering of "Amazon Biology," and one of my favorite professors was the guide. My mom laughs when she recounts the story of my decision to sign up, saying I was always the kid who was too shy to go ask for ketchup at Burger King, and utterly terrified about going to a week-long summer camp one year with my best friend. She feared I might merely dream about world travels with quiet desperation rather than get up the guts to really go. When I called her up and told her I was using my $3000 savings to go to the Peruvian Amazon, she was floored.
So, I had to fly to Miami, and then on to Iquitos, Peru all by myself, among strangers. Needless to say, it was one of the most exciting & liberating experiences of my life.
I ended up making great friends with whom I fished for pirannha, trekked the jungle at night, danced among natives, and gazed at the Southern Cross as we floated 300 miles of the river. Perhaps more than any other sight along the way, I remember my first glimpse of the Amazon, winding her way like a giant python through the moonlit forest below my plane window.
I was never the same!

Debs
outthinking

5 Posts

Debby
Wellington
New Zealand
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  8:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Jen - I'd love to go to the Amazon - one of the most ecologically diverse wilderness places on Earth - sounds like you had a real adventure!

Debs
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  4:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Debs!
It definitely was an adventure - it was such a crash course, though, (10 days with several other students/teachers) that I would love to go back again and take it more slowly. Have you ever travelled abroad? I would love to travel the world....
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  1:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen-

I am so jealous! The Amazon! I have never been outside the USA before- but I hope to travel more extensively as I get more settled in life.

I can't even imagine how humbling it must have been to see the Amazon and to be in that part of the world. Someday you will have to tell us more about it!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  07:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Humbling, yes - and also SO liberating for such a little hermit! I can't wait to travel more. For the past 12 years, my hub & I have "vacationed" by moving from job to job. We've seen a lot of amazing country, but you know how relaxing moving is!
Anyway, we hope to sit still for awhile & eventually save up some $ (or credit ) to travel abroad. The only other place I've been outside the US (not including the Canadian side of Niagra Falls when I was, like, 2), is Cancun, Mexico. Fun trip with my family when I was 18, but not wildly adventurous.
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only "vacations" have been traveling home to see family whenever I can afford it. My fiance and I hope to get married in the fall though so hopefully we will be able to take a vacation then. Sadly, I doubt we will have enough money to be able to go out-of-country.

I desperatly want to see Europe. I have a lot of family history in Ireland, Scotland, England, and Germany. I would love to go visit the places my forebearers are from and see some of the ancient history that is so rich over in Europe.

Of course, then I also want to go see unique natural habitats like the Great Barrier Reef and tropical rainforest. I would love to research which companies use tourist money to help save these unique locations and then spend my money with them.

So- If you could go one place that you haven't already been where would it be?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  07:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Growing up, I dreamed of Africa & India - the haunts of Hemingway & the like. I had no inclination to go to Europe - and now it's one of my top destinations! My family stems from Ireland, Norway, Germany & France. My hub is 1/2 Italian. So, we'd love to take the kids over there - so much diverse culture and FOOD!!!
Of course, then there's Chile, and the South Pacific, and....ok, I'll stop there!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  07:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you have the feeling, as you listed where you would like to visit, that the list could go on forever? I certainly did! I think I would just like to see the world.

Oh! I forgot to mention one of the places that I REALLY _have_ to see some time- China! I am in love with ancient Chinese culture and I would love to see some of the amazing sights.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Debs
outthinking

5 Posts

Debby
Wellington
New Zealand
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  01:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen - I have been all over the place - will post more about some amazing places to camp, hike and see wildlife at some stage! Lot's to chat about!
Go to Top of Page
  Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic The Amazon   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000