Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Backcountry Bookshelf
 Read & Ramble: Book Discussions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Read & Ramble: Book Discussions Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  12:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the new title of your thread, Jen.

cold frames or hot beds can be used to get outside with seedlings before you are past the frost dates or a way to extend your harvesting days into the fall.

we made one by recycling an old shower door.

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  1:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ohhhh, I see. I'm surprised you need "extensions" in your balmy climate. Do you garden in the ground or in raised beds?

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  07:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah I'm spoiled...
Right now we screen to give me a week or two more before bolt bitterness builds me into milk city.
My fruits are in the ground, my veggies in raised beds. I do containers this time of year too...so I can control the watering (afternoon squalls tropical storms) or the need for more shade.

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  8:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Living in a tropical climate would be interesting, but I bet you get tons of great garden produce!!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  12:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Elizaray
Reading Animal Veg Miracle has really reinforced how blessed I am.
The fish, shrimp, crab, oysters, clams are in abundance and a fun way to spend your morning is in a boat or wading along shore. Living on an estuary provides more than enough to eat. We don't have the hungry months. Winter is citrus...summer is papaya, avocado and mango.
This time of year for me is when I kick back...to a slower period veggie wise because the blistering sun/heat and summer squalls/high humidity makes it harder on all the plants versus the spring and fall gardens...tho I still have more than enough to can and I take baskets to work to share. I found a pumpkin patch right by the entrance of my compost pile this morning. Would you move it to a bed or leave it be?
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  4:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know- If it sprung up there and is happily growing- I would leave it be! It is getting tons of natural fertilizer from the compost heap. But if it looks wilty and sick, I would move it to a place where it can be happier.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  4:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elizaray,
The vote to leave it be wins for now. Guess I'll be like I was for my kids... let them grow where they chose to become planted.
I think this was a pumpkin that sat outside by under a palm tree all window and I only threw back by the mulch pile maybe in may.

The pumpkins look plenty healthy, only glitch is they could end up blocking the entrance... I stuck my compost pile in the shade of some pines behind my potting shed. I don't have more than maybe a two wheelbarrow width of room between the pile and the pine...if they do take over the drive...I'll just use my other compost pile more. I'm blessed with enough property to have another( I started one further away from the house when we were clearing an old oak hammock next to our old dog kennel.) Palms are taking over the kennel and I thought maybe I should convert to a palapa.

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  6:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellen-

Your place sounds like paradise! Maybe you could post some pictures for us!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  10:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year I had volunteer pumpkins growing in my compost area. they were wonderful. All the same size, no bad ones, no rot, all healthy and perfect. I am hoping for more this year. No care at all. Likw Topsy, they just grew. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  09:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Marybeth! I bet they just loved being by your compost pile! All the free fertilizer they could want- and tons of worms to feed them, right? :)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  8:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MB
so did you pitch out pumpkin seeds from making pumpkin pie or are these volunteers from birds??? My pumpkins may be a bit early for me for the fall season.

Elizaray
Well paradise is in the eyes of the beholder or so I hear. I regularly post photos on my webpage. In april I shot the pond path.

Back to the book by Kingsolver...Animal Vegetable Miracle...

Her husband, Steven Hopp asks the question: is bigger really better?

Which are more economically productive, small family farms or big industrial farms? What do you think is the answer?
Would you be surprised to know the USDA records farms less than 4 acres had an average net income of $1,400 and acre?
Why do you think the little guys are going under when 1000acre farms avg $40/acre?
Have you written to your reps(4th of July break means they are all coming home-write now) on the farm bill that is due to be voted on soon?
Have you seen the podcast interview with Carlos Petrini? (18min)
http://wholefoodsmarket.com/socialmedia/podcast/
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  10:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellen, the seeds that must have made it to the compost were from pumpkin pie seeds and from pumpkins set out at halloween, and then pitched into the compost pile when they were too rotten to look at anymore. Also in the compost some little gourds grew. ????? MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  8:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wouldn't suprise me that smaller farms average a higher monetary yield per acre because of all the value added items that seem to come from smaller farms. Also smaller farms seem more likely to be organic and able to charge more at farmer's markets and such.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  1:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ellen, I'm blushing to admit I didn't know about your website! It's lovely - can't wait to read more! Have to sign off & go make lasagna with garden zucchinis...will talk more on your questions soon.
Jen

Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great website Ellen! I find myself fishing around in here a little more everyday, I love reading all your thoughts...... out looking for the Kingsolver book...

Every night (if we're not exhausted) my husband and I read snippets of books to each other, the latest is Mark Twain "Following the Equator", and a book that detailed life out on Lake Clark over thirty years ago...

I know I'm late, but I thought I'd share our food story......

We eat sustainable agriculture as much as possible. 90 percent is sablefish (black cod), king crab, and different varieties of salmon. I prefer red salmon, Paul (my husband) prefers King. I actually get sick of King Crab! Our growing season is so short and intense, I'm working on ways to improve what I get out of my garden. It seems I grow only currants and raspberries very well.

We buy from local farmers market and belong to a growers coop.

My husband was a lobbyist in Washington DC for a conservancy group, so we are very environmentally active in Alaska. He has spent all of his life here, so is very intense about protecting it!!

I love reading your postings, you are all such interesting women. It is refreshing to read about women "who are" instead of women "who have, shop, want".......

jo

there's no place like home....http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  12:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love to read to my kids & husband before bed, Jo. Winter works best, when we all hit the sack early. We finished the whole "Little House" series (good study of sustainable food) a few years ago & hope to re-read it again soon, now that my 2nd daughter is old enough to appreciate it (4). Am going to go look up "Following the Equator" - and GREAT photos, by the way!
Anyway, I'm still plugging away through Animal, Veg, Miracle. Slow going with little time to read & highlighting & note-taking for next year's garden...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Read & Ramble: Book Discussions Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000