Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Backcountry Bookshelf
 Read & Ramble: Book Discussions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Read & Ramble: Book Discussions Next Topic
Page: of 5

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  6:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I am going to have to buy "Animal, Veg, Miracle" You ladies rave about it so!

I am looking at the area around our house and trying to find ways to forage more. I have found a few apple trees to pillage alongside the roads and a few berry patches. I am hoping to find some wild asparagus here in a few weeks.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elizaray, you would LOVE this book, I have no doubt. Good luck with your roadside raids

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  11:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elizaray, I used to ride over the side of my horse looking in ditches for asparagus in eastern oregon. I'd collect it and sell it to an elderly woman who lived by us in Oregon. Gosh I wish I had some of that asparagus now! jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  11:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got another Kingsolver link with part of Animal, Vegetable, MiracleStalking the Vegetannual
A Roadmap to Eating with the Seasons
for y'all from the orion magazine

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/239/

Y'all are the beeknees, thanks, for looking Jen and Jo.

How many of ya are looking at the topsoils in your neighborhoods//communities?
What do you see as the promises in the field?

Met ant new farmers?
Are there more farmers markets and coops/CSA's where people buy a share of a farmer's harvest and pick it up bi or weekly gaining popularity in your 'hood? Notice more roadside stands. Do you stop?
Do you know what is in the new farm bill? What would be in your ideal farm bill?
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  1:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooo and from the NYTimes on July4th by Marian Burros

The Debate Over Subsidizing Snacks SHIFTING THE ATTITUDES Is a corn field, like this one in Illinois, a symbol of the nation's abundance or its problem with obesity? Farm subsidies are an issue being debated now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/dining/04farm.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  12:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have ya finished reading Animal Vegetable Miracle? Here is more on the web from Kingsolver.

This is a podcast from the ethics of eating webpage.
Barbara is an easy listen.

how do you feel about the morals of food arena? are you choosing your nourishments with an earth spirit?

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/ethicsofeating/index.shtml
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  8:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what books are ya'll reading now?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  06:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Returning to Earth by Jim Harrison

What about you Elizaray?

editing in the on point show with jim harrison on his story, boston's npr on wburg.org

http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2007/03/20070306_b_main.asp

Edited by - Ellen on Jul 29 2007 07:02:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  8:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, speed readers, I'm still on Kingsolver. Told you I'd be slow - about a page & 1/2 per night, if I'm lucky! Have a pile waiting to be read next, so I'll let you know what I choose when I get there. Keep talkin', though - I'd love to hear about some new material!

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  10:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now I am not really reading much of anything- Summer time is usually not my big reading season. Between my baby and the garden, housework and yardwork I keep pretty busy :)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  4:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just now digging into Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza, as well as an organic pest control book - not very wild or exciting, but enlightening nonetheless...

Also, found a magazine that might be of interest to Outposters: Women's Adventure www.womensadventuremagazine.com

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  4:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How's your garden going, Elizaray? I bet you're getting more out of it than I am from my big plot because I was so unprepared to deal with the bugs - but they'd better look out next year!

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  8:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My garden is not yielding too much right now. I got a good harvest of some carrots, but right now all my tomatos are still green. It seems to be a common problem this year. I looked online and found that tomatos like cool weather to ripen so I should be getting a boat load in a little while. I am soaking them tonight since I have a bunch of little ones coming on. My apple tree is ultra wormy but I don't know what to do about that. I don't want it sprayed, but how to break the cycle? It is as big as a two story house to spraying vinegar or something like that isn't really feasible. And since I rent I don't want to pay $$$ to fix someone else's problem. I didn't really plant much this year because I was pregnant and had a new baby during planting time. I plan on starting a much larger plot for next year. I need to turn the soil over this fall so the sod can compost down over the winter. I am thinking of buying that Weed-Stop fabric that MaryJane uses in her gardens because I am being choked out by common mallow and stranglevine.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  3:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when ya say wormy is it the apple maggot worms or larva from the moths? One lives in the apples and the other in the bark.

Neither have a quick fix. A lot of it comes from simple no cost to you besides time...orchard maintenance. No apples left on tree over winter, apples falling on ground have to be picked up immediately, maintaining other nut or fruit bearing shrubs and trees nearby?
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  06:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Ellen says Maintenance etc. Always rake and clean up any debris left under the trees. Like begats like and a cover of rotting apples and leaves gives you a breeding ground for next year. Being outside is being

Edited by - marybeth on Aug 12 2007 06:54:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  9:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is worms that live in the apples.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic Read & Ramble: Book Discussions Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000