Author Birdwatching: Previous Topic Turkeys! Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have been hearing turkey in the morning & seeing them bustling about the woods / across roads. I like to "talk" to them - sometimes can even call them in closer, but none will venture into the clearing here where I can see them from the house. Neat birds - so huge & yet so hidden most of the year.

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:27:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My turkeys make themselves right at home--they are constantly on the front deck and now they have found the deck off our bedroom--on the second floor!We have bird feeders there. We even get quail on the decks. Some turkeys are so bold or tame that they walk right by the cat sitting on the deck. I've also had them peering in the front window. There is nothing cuter than those baby turkeys in the spring though. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sounds so fun to me, JoAnn. Turkeys here get hunted so hard that they're more cautious, I think. Seems the turkeys we "met" in WA were more "friendly" [(:)]! Plus, we've got 2 dogs who seem to have an insatiable taste for fowl....

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  11:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love wild turkeys. Last summer I drove this beautiful back road to work every morning and a whole family lived by the road. Most morning I would see the big tom ushering the family across the road to safety.

I always feel guilty though because I love eating turkey dinner so at the same time that I am admiring this big amazing bird I am thinking... mmmm dinner... :p

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
outbound

37 Posts

Squaw Valley California
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  6:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sarah Blue's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think the same thing when I see them! They're wonderful birds, but I would also love to eat one I've heard their populations are increasing, have you? A girlfriend who lives on a ranch in Hawaii just sent some pictures, and one of them was of a whole bunch of wild turkeys. Turns out they have a lot there too. Lucky birds.

"i believe in god, i just spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  10:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Kidding! I would love Hawaii

But then again I love Spring and Fall most of all season wise so perhaps a tropical island life is not for me. I would miss the seasons.

And nothing says "Turkey" like leaves turning colors and a nice crisp bite to the air... lol

It is barely spring and I am already thinking of fall!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  1:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Saw 20+ big tom turkeys in our field the other night!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Go to Top of Page
  Birdwatching: Previous Topic Turkeys! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000