Author Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic Yellowstone! Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  08:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris & I are planning our first ever REAL vacation (no U-Haul!) We're going try and go all the way to Yellowstone in September - golden aspens, whispers of winter, elk bugling...ooooh, gives me the shivers!!! We love living in Arkansas but can't help pining for the high country. We'll have to pull Rita out of school, but don't care. I'm sure school officials will ask why we didn't just go during the summer, but who wants to fight their way thru Yellowstone in summertime?
We think (hope, wish) we can make it in 2 long days of driving. Will the kids survive? Sophie, 4, said, "I can make it, Mom. I rode all the way for days and days from Washington when we moved here." Yes, but those were 6-hour days
I'll keep you posted!
Here are a few photos we took in October as we hurried white-knuckled through the park, trying to beat the blizzard, on our cross-country move:

Never really dreamed we'd be able to make it back there so soon. YEA!!!!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  11:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cute family! Thanks for sharing.
Half the fun will be getting there and back. Doesn't it always seem like the trips are longer with the anticipation of getting there? Will you be camping on your way?

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  8:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh you should email me if you are coming this way! If the timing works out it would be great to have lunch with you in Wyoming!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

countrychick
outbound

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  9:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband and I went to yellowstone and stopped off at mt. rushmore along the way. It was our best vacation trip yet. There were so many animals to see... up close and personal (sometimes too close).
We bought an interesting book while we were there called deaths in yellowstone... It made us more aware of the dangers especially with the animals and the springs.

We were able to see many animals.. even a cinnamon bear on the side of the road. Anyway make sure you see the yellow canyon it has beautiful colors.

Nikki

Edited by - countrychick on Jul 09 2007 07:46:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  08:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read in the paper that they are voluntary closing some of the rivers/streams in Yellowstone for fishing because it's been so hot the streams are heating up. One stream was up to 83 degrees and the trout died. It said they can't take any temps. above 73. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  7:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, JoAnn, salmonids are very sensitive to temp. Often, streams will experience rising temps due to deforestation in the riparian zone (ie less shade) and decreased water depth (due to many human bumbles that screw up the channel & width:depth ratio). But, Yellowstone should exhibit darn near natural conditions, so there must be bigger forces - like global warming - at work. Bad news.

Nikki - hi!! You're so lucky to have seen a bear. I've been there 4 times now & haven't seen a bear in the park. Maybe this year!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Joelle
outbound

11 Posts

Joelle
Aptos CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  09:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am heading on a road trip to Montana at the end of next week and Yellowstone is on the agenda. I have never been. Does anyone have any wild suggestions of places my boyfriend and I should check out. My beau is much into fly fishing, myself- I enjoy hiking to see wildlife and the land around me- I am not into the touristy spots, though I welcome all perspectives on Yosemite!!
Go to Top of Page

Joelle
outbound

11 Posts

Joelle
Aptos CA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  09:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooops! I mean Yellowstone! I ALWAYS do that!
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
outthinking

4 Posts

Jeannie

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  12:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it is a touristy spot, but hubby and I stayed in the lodge in Yellowstone, right by Old Faithful, and loved the history behind it. We were there in September and got snowed in! All gates at the park were closed, and 12 inches fell. We did get out through the west gate finally, and it was an adventure.

We also heard the bugling of elk - what a haunting sound. We heard that in the woods at Grand Teton. When we left the Tetons, we got on the road at 6:00 a.m., as we had a flight out of Jackson Hole, and there was a beautiful elk standing along the road. It was still pretty dark - I am still thankful we were driving slow!
Go to Top of Page

countrychick
outbound

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  2:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went in April and there wasn't very many people there at that time because it was winter trying to be spring but that's when the wildlife migrate and have there babys... so they tell me. Anyway my hubbie and I don't really like to go to places with a bizillion people... so we went in April and it turned out fabulous. We seen elk, buffalo, bear, and coyote. One coyote was really funny... people must have been feeding him out of there car, because every time we passed the same area he would run up to the car and beg for food. Obviously we didnot feed him... even though he is licking his lips like he just found grandmas house.lol

here are a few pics...

Nikki

Edited by - countrychick on Jul 12 2007 08:44:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  3:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It makes a world of difference going after Labor Day. The crowds can be maddening. You learn quickly as you are driving through that if you see a car or two parked on the side of the road that it is a "camera moment". We stopped at a gathering of cars and across the little stream near the road was a silver tipped grizzly munching on the grass and 50 yards was a moose munching away looking cautiously to his left. We were probably 100 yards away. It was awesome. Of course while I was fiddling with my camera I accidently opened it ruining the pictures I took. JoAnn P.S. welcome Jeannie
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  3:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeannie If I could have one wish and lots of money : ) I would love to stay one night in every National Park Lodge in North America. Wouldn't that be grand. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

countrychick
outbound

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  4:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats awesome mountaingirl you were able to see a Grizzly. It would be a dream to see every National park in NA.

Nikki
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  12:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nikki thanks for sharing your photo

Joelle Gallatin River Canyon had great flyfishing holes.
bears, elk bugling, snow in sept and jeannie o my!
welcome to the outpost buddy
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
outthinking

4 Posts

Jeannie

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  06:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JoAnn - I have the same wish. Forget the cities! If I cannot get out into the natural world, a vacation is not a vacation. This September we hope to get to Washington state. Hubby has a conference in Seattle, but after that we plan to drive into the Cascades and into the woods for a few days. I have never been there, and I really look forward to it. I also dream of seeing Yosemite and Denali and on and on. Living on the east coast of the USA, I have been to many parks here, and they are just as wonderful, all in their own way.

When we were in Yellowstone, I was doing some reading, and did you know that Indians skirted that area? They did not settle there, or even hunt there often, so not many artifacts are found actually in what is now the park area. They felt it had evil vibes. And they thought the sulphur springs were evil too. Isn't that interesting?

And hello Ellen! Nice to see you here, girl!

Edited by - bluesky on Jul 11 2007 06:47:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  9:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just suggest trying to see as much of it as possible. It has been years since I went so I don't know any good fly fishing spots. Ask the park rangers. They will be able to direct you to a good area-

One of the reasons that the streams might be heating up is because of shifts in the tectonic plates below the park or because forest fire has destroyed trees. I know they have had issues with both of those things. I have watched alot of Discovery shows on Yellowstone lately. I did not realize that the volcanic action was so strong there. I mean I knew it was strong because of the gysers and mud pits, but it is even more active than I thought!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  10:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elizaray
Have you noticed how the discovery channel has changed? They have all those ratings grabbers on now, making it a real sort, to find the old tell the truth shows... oops I'm whining....now I will return you to the original post...

golden aspens and wolves licking their chops. that is one pink tongue, did he get hold of a strawberry? kinda sad he is out on a painted highway.
Go to Top of Page
  Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic Yellowstone! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000