Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Adventures Abroad
 an ellen inspired questionaire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic an ellen inspired questionaire Next Topic  

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  08:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What adventure have you been on that left a lasting impression????

What wilderness enchants you?

What outdoor writer is a go to read??

What scared the bejeebers out of you in the woods (besides your s/o)?

jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  9:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by blueberries in alaska

Going on aa backpacking trip for college credit way back in 2001. I learned a lot. I also learned how ill fitting backpack frames can make you miserable!!

Mountains. Anything Mountainous and with trees. Wyoming, Montana, The Pacific Northwest.

MaryJane!!! If I only could take one thing extra on a trip it would be something written by MaryJane!

Having a mountain lion scope out my camp when I was 13 yrs old and camping alone with a friend

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

countrychick
outbound

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  05:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My huband and I drove to Mt. Rushmore through the bighorn mts in wyoming and on to Yellowstone and to a ghost town in Montana. We seen so much in just ten days, it was a thrill. I really enjoyed western South Dakota.

I really liked the Big Horn Mts in Wyoming thats where I was able to see a couple moose in the wild. It also smelled fabulous, it had a sweet scent of wild sage in the air. I also really enjoy Porcupine Mountains and Pictured rocks in the UP of Michigan.

Well I like any books on self suffient living and people who venture out in the wilderness living in simple ways. Or Adventures in wild places. I don't have one author I guess.

The buffalo at Yellowstone... You are suppose to stay a 100 yards away because they can gore you to death. I walked around the corner and boom he was right there. I probably fraked more than I usually would because I read the deaths in yellowstone (which had a lot of goring buffalo in it) before we started are day.
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  10:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must be dreaming again ya sure know how to make me laugh
inspired?

What adventure have you been on that left a lasting impression???? And with a quadruple question mark, I'll take it to mean I get four adventures to tell
1.crawling up a mast in a storm to repair the runningrig will get you wetter than you imagined
2.snow camping looks serene tho caught in a blizzard melting snow to drink and straining it through tighie whities was not hot ...tho my numb feet stuck next to a fire did melt my boots
3. what is a shade tree, to someone who grew up in AZ, does not qualify in my mirage...it would take all their leaves glued together to equal the mirage visual I got when I conjured up shaaade while desert backpacking
4.Rock climbing Seneca Rock WV in january shortens the life of your line...ropes will break bring the deicer

What wilderness enchants you? Enchants sounds like fairies or gnomes...or see rock city lol... a white deer nudging me awake, a yellow rat snake slithering over my arm, Kaibab squirrels nabbing my peanut butter cookie, a yellow leaf floating into my beloved's openhand in Joyce Kilmer.

What outdoor writer is a go to read?? Mary Oliver

s o is that like soul outlook?
I don't know if I got the bejeebers, I missed standing in that line when they were handing them out the only time I've ever been really thinking it is over scared = my boys got caught in a rip tide. Power in the ocean is way beyond a momma's control... ooo and the battle with gravity on a cliff... there was a tension too.

Nikki where did you camp in SD?
Do any fishing?

Did you think of names for the buffalo in that moment. Did you say anything...like were you talking to him or yourself?

Elizaray now that is a college course they didn't offer at my school. We got hauled out to the wilds in a surveying class, forestry, and geology tho never overnight. For that I guess we had the outdoor club.
Where did you go? Was it for like Spring break? Or a weekend?

Have you been on any of the Pacific Crest Trail?

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  2:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote

So many....the Amazon, hikes with moose in MT, snorkeling with salmon in WA, camping in the Cascades & Olympics, exploring Glacier & Yellowstone NPs, canoeing Ozark Rivers....all are like jewels I keep in my pocket so that I can pull them out & marvel at them now & then.

ALL of it, every bit

Pam Houston, Rick Bass, Sherry Simpson, Becca Lawton, Mark Jenkins.......ME! Shameless, I know.

Elk "barking" - didn't recognize the noise & thought sure it was Sasquatch! Also, camping up in the Cascades on a night when a woman turned up missing after a day of berry picking - very eerie trying to sleep in that vast, dark wilderness knowing someone was lost out there. Luckily, she was found, unharmed - just lost, the next morning.

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  3:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so here's my answer......... to my own questions!

1/ Kodiak Island, 100 humpbacks in a feeding frenzy off Pasagshak, so many seabirds eating they were running into our boat, I caught three 40 pound salmon that were dining on needlefish in thirty minutes, it was sunny and stunning. I felt like I was dining at a big seafood buffet and we were the only humans. This pod of fish they were feeding on was probably 3 miles wide at the time.

2/ The Galapagos enchants me, enough said, I'm saving for that trip....

3/Jane Goodall, I saw her speak in 1975 about chimp research, her slight voice that says so much....

4/Running into the middle of a rut of moose, probably 15, no less than that. You don't want to visit with a bull who has lovin on his mind..........

I love your answers!

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  8:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a 3 night trip that was 45 miles long. It was for a college credit and we went on a long weekend. I went for a year to a small community college in Wyoming- Northwest College. It was a great trip.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic an ellen inspired questionaire Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000