Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Kids in the Wilderness
 Don't camp when you're sick (duh!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic Don't camp when you're sick (duh!) Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  08:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'd think I'd know better, that I would have learned by now. But my husband took the week off work, and we were planning to do some river camping. Then, I got sick - earache, sore throat, yuck. Great timing! The kids were fine (I didn't catch this one from them) and they were SO excited about camping that I had to bite the bullet & go. I wasn't feeling THAT bad.
Needless to say, I'd forgotten just how miserable sleeping in a tent can be when you're mushed in with 2 BIG kids, a baby, a husband, not enough blankets - and sick.
Luckily, the kids got to play in the creek (we didn't make it to the Buffalo River like we'd planned) & had fun with dad while I moped around wishing I was home in bed. We came home the next morning.
Oh well, planning doesn't make perfect, does it?
I'm gonna go take a nap

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  4:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jen,
Praying you are feeling better soon.

I was out in the Truman Museum in Missouri last May and saw Thomas Hart Benton's murals. I picked up a biography on his work and he got inspiration from the Buffalo River. Did you camp on the gravel beds?
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  4:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen-

I hope you are feeling better. I know how camping can exasperate symptoms, so I am sure you were feeling much worse by the time the weekend was over. You are such a great mom to go anyway!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  12:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Am finally getting in gear again. Whatever it was, it was a doozy, and thankfully nobody else has gotten it.
I LOVE Thomas Hart Benton's work, Ellen! And, yes, I have camped on Ozark gravel bars all my life. Not the Buffalo yet, but we're gonna make it over there soon. There's a Benton painting called "Cave Spring" that's one of my favorites - been there (Cave Spring on the Current River), done that!

Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  11:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had never seen his work until last year.finally found this print
http://store.encore-editions.com/artists/amer7art124amart.html

Are there lots of caves, is it like it looks, sounds?
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  6:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I found it on that site, too & was gonna post the link for you! Missouri & Arkansas are riddled with caves, ranging in size from little bobcat dens to giant underground mansions. I've shimmied through a couple of smaller ones with a flashlight, but I really prefer the great big ones with glistening, bulbous stalag & stalactites (usually artificially lit with nice little park trails throughout.) Cave Spring is beautiful - you can canoe right into it with enough room to turn around (again, makes me a bit claustrophobic), but a neat experience. I never tire of the Ozark springs, though. I've seen some fantastic Florida spring pictures in National Geographic...

Go to Top of Page
  Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic Don't camp when you're sick (duh!) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000