Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Kids in the Wilderness
 Now this is an excuse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic Now this is an excuse Next Topic  

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  1:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My "kid" is 34 and is Katmai National Park and Preserve doing a grizzly bear study. I hadn't heard from him for a couple of weeks(only can get e-mails)when I did he apologized for not being able to communicate--the reason a momma grizzley and her THREE cubs like to hang out by the bridge he has to go over to get to the computers and you are not suppose to go there when they are around. JoAnn

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  5:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh! She had triplets! I thought singles or twins were the norm? Your sone sure has an interesting job! I hope he sends you pictures that you can share with us!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  6:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A likely story, JoAnn I forget, what agency does he work for? Sounds so exciting....

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - Jen on Jun 27 2007 6:50:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  6:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen, he works for the National Park Service and it's his story and he's sticking to it : ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  11:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there are an occasional threes but the third usually dies here..... Katmai is awesome for bears....... they are very acclimated to humans there. jo
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  4:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bears getting acclimated to humans sounds dangerous to me. Isn't that what happened at Yellowstone (I know the feeding and garbage were factors). But then they started having bear attacks because the bears weren't leery of humans any more?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  5:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elizray, It's strange, there has been no bad incidents at Katmai. Eric says the bears are fat and happy with all the salmon they get to eat so they don't have to raid human's for food. Before Eric got the bear monitering job and to be able to stay near his now ex girlfriend he took a job as he said keeping the tourists away from the bears. He's always on the bears side. My other son went to visit Eric and Pat said you could walk right by a sleeping grizzly and they don't mind. He said I should go there to get rid of my fear of bears. Yes I have a fear of bears, rather see them at a distance but luckily it seems I didn't pass it on to my kids : ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  9:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JoAnn-
It sounds like an amazing place! I want to go visit now!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Kids in the Wilderness: Previous Topic Now this is an excuse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000