Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  09:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm leaving later to go to Spokane during the daylight to avoid running into any deer or moose to await my departure at 1:15A.M Tuesday for a trip to Minnesota to see my son and the cabin he's building on his land (formerly ours which we gave to him when we moved here), my mom and a friend's daughter's wedding. I love traveling by train. Luckily the times I choose to go the train is fairly empty so you can usually get two seats to stretch out in. Hopefully that is true this time. Even the time I had a really bad cold and coughed all the way home the people who I worried I was disturbing were helpful--offering me cough drops, telling me not to worry about disturbing them it's happened to them too. So see you again in 10 days. JoAnn

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  12:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to hear about the trip, JoAnn! I've never traveled by train but would love to - the route you're taking is gorgeous, I bet. So, does this mean your son is hanging up his fieldwork hat and settling down? Talk to you when you return, Jen

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  1:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaving in a couple of hours. The son I'm visiting is not the one is Alaska. Pat's still in Minnesota working a computer company.JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  2:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops - I forgot there were 2! Have a fun, safe trip. Hope the weather's lovely!

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  3:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm back and overall it was a pretty good trip. The train to Mpls was crowded and missing one car so I had a single seat on the aisle which wasn't the most comfortable. On the way back I got a double seat the whole way and was more comfortable. There was no snow in Glacier on the way out but lots on the way back. Met a lot of interesting (and not so interesting: )people. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  07:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, JoAnn! Are you one to strike up a conversation with whoever's sitting next to you, for better or worse? Not me. I've gotta have a book for refuge (or a good window seat). How's the cabin coming along?

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  08:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen You are just like my husband and sons. I am a talker. Of course if I find I don't like the way the conversations is going I rush off to the lounge or back to my seat and it's time for a nap: ) You do learn a lot talking to people--like you're way different than a lot of people. Most people don't watch birds, look for mushrooms, go on hikes etc. The sauna was finished while I was gone and anytime now the first sauna will be taken.JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  6:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oooh, you'll have to let us know how you like your little "sweat lodge"! But I meant Pat's cabin on the land - is he living in it yet, or is it still bare bones?
(Maybe in a few more years I'll grow to enjoy the things I might learn from talking to all of those different people out there...maybe. I'm sure glad I met you at MJ's - but we're not all that different!)

Edited by - Jen on Oct 02 2007 6:52:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  7:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat would love to live at the cabin but I don't think that's in the future. Now it's a place he can go and relax. He seemed so happy and content when I saw him there .Makes a mom very happy. The only thing left to do is put on the outside siding. He has done this whole project and has gone into a little debt without asking for any help from us. We said we would give him the money for the siding. I once read an article that said if you are able give you money to your kids when they need you should not after your gone and they themselves are in a position that they don't need it. I am happy to be in a position to do just that. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  06:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's wonderful, JoAnn - something for a mother of young ones to aspire to.

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  3:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like your trip was great! When you mention Glacier, is that Glacier National Park in Montana? I have never been there, but watched a special on it on the travel channel. It looks like a beautiful place.

I have never been on a train before, do you prefer traveling by train as opposed to driving or flying?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  3:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elizaray, Yup Glacier National Park. It's beautiful. I'm not a fan of airlplanes and airports. I would drive if my beloved car wasn't so old and the price of gas wasn't so high. Train travel is not for everyone but I love it despite the absurd times in leaves and arrives in Spokane. Funny side note I overheard a conversation where one passenger got a sleeper for the first time and loved it. The guy he was talking to had a sleeper alsoand he didn't like it. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page
  Adventures Abroad: Previous Topic All Aboard! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000