Page: of 3

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  07:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to MJ's 2007 Farmgirl Calendar, today is "Good Neighbor Day." So, lend a hand mending fence or picking apples, or just give a warm smile to make your neighbor's day brighter!

MJ's Farm is now taking preorders for the second annual MaryJanesFarm
Calendar! Each month’s top page features a full-color image from our farm and each calendar page includes dates, holidays, inspirational sayings, lunar phases and fabulous farmgirl culture.

http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?ProductID=75040002&dept%5Fid=299

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  08:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
done ordered it already. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  07:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday was the birthday of the great Mahatma Gandhi, born in 1869 (died January 30, 1948).

"As a British-educated lawyer, Gandhi first employed his ideas of peaceful civil disobedience in the Indian community's struggle for civil rights in South Africa. Upon his return to India, he organized poor farmers and labourers to protest against oppressive taxation and widespread discrimination. Assuming leadership of the Indian National Congress, Gandhi led nationwide campaigns for the alleviation of poverty, for the liberation of women, for brotherhood amongst differing religions and ethnicities, for an end to untouchability and caste discrimination, and for the economic self-sufficiency of the nation, but above all for Swaraj—the independence of India from foreign domination. Gandhi famously led Indians in the disobedience of the salt tax on the 400 kilometre (248 miles) Dandi Salt March in 1930, and in an open call for the British to Quit India in 1942. He was imprisoned for many years on numerous occasions in both South Africa and India.

Gandhi practised and advocated non-violence and truth, even in the most extreme situations. A student of Hindu philosophy, he lived simply, organizing an ashram that was self-sufficient in its needs. Making his own clothes—the traditional Indian dhoti and shawl woven with a charkha—he lived on a simple vegetarian diet. He used rigorous fasts, for long periods, for both self-purification and protest."

Learn more online at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi. And if you haven't seen the movie Gandhi, I highly recommend it.

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  08:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make a corn maze (or at least go to one)

Here's a directory of corn mazes in the USA and Canada:
http://www.cornmazedir.com

"Corny Culture" links to everything you could ever hope to know about corn mazes:
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn/culture/maze.html

Check this one out - talk about ambitious!

http://www.farmingmagazine.com/articles/a-maze-ing.html

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  1:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Columbus Day marks "the anniversary of the October 12, 1492 arrival of Christopher Columbus to the Americas. Similar holidays, celebrated as Día de la Raza (Day of the Race) in many countries in Latin America, Día de las Culturas (Day of the Cultures) in Costa Rica, Discovery Day in the Bahamas, Día de la Hispanidad in Spain, and the newly-renamed (as of 2002) Día de la Resistencia Indígena (Day of Indigenous Resistance) in Venezuela, commemorate the same event."

(Interesting note: In South Dakota, today is an official state holiday known as "Native American Day" - NOT Columbus Day.)

"Opposition to the holiday cites the fact that Columbus and many of the conquistador followers treated the American Indians with great cruelty. Columbus directly brought about the demise of many Taino (Arawak) Indians on the island of Hispaniola, and the arrival of the Europeans indirectly slew many indigenous peoples by bringing diseases previously unknown in the New World. An estimated 85% of the Native American population was wiped out within 150 years of Columbus's arrival in America, due largely to diseases such as smallpox, which were both accidentally and deliberately spread among Native American populations. Additionally, war and the seizing of land and material wealth by European colonists also contributed to the decline of the indigenous populations in America.[7]

In the summer of 1990, 350 Native Americans, representatives from all over the hemisphere, met in Quito, Ecuador, at the first intercontinental gathering of indigenous people in the Americas, to mobilize against the quincentennial celebration of Columbus Day. The following summer, in Davis, California, over a hundred Native Americans gathered for a follow-up meeting to the Quito conference. They declared October 12th, 1992, International Day of Solidarity with Indigenous People.

The largest ecumenical body in the United States, the National Council of Churches, called on Christians to refrain from celebrating the Columbus quincentennial, saying, 'What represented newness of freedom, hope, and opportunity for some was the occasion for oppression, degradation and genocide for others.'"

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day

It's all in your persepective...

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  12:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know about the Native Americans asking everyone not to celebrate Columbus Day, but I can see their side. I don't, and haven't ever really understood why everyone sees this as a holiday. I am very glad to be living in the United States, but I wish the land I live on hadn't been fought over so bloodily. It is hard being a modern American because I have so obviously benefited from the cruelty and bloodshed in the past, but what is the answer? Where would I live today if not here?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  2:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep - true of nearly every society, I imagine. There has always been conquest, and consequently those who benefit & suffer because of it. It's just nature, but it's too bad we "advanced" animals can't find a way to rise above.

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  1:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"It's My Party" Day! Laugh, cry, or dance naked under the stars if you want to

Speaking of stars, it's also the new (dark) moon...

"The New Moon is the first phase of each lunar cycle. Use this phase to go within to plant your intention or 'seed vision' for what you want to grow, create or transform in your life for this lunar cycle.

At this time all of the power of the Sun (Spirit) is encapsulated in your 'seed vision' and planted deep underground in the subconscious womb of the Moon (soul). Solar and lunar energies come together and magnetically pull in the same direction to provide the thrust for this new life.

In general this is a period of instinctive, youthful, and essentially unconscious activity. Since all is hidden from light at the dark Moon, dreams and waking inspirations often hold the answers.
Faith and trust in the Unseen is called for."

More at http://www.moonsurfing.com/new_moon.html

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  6:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's Farmers Day! Here's to all of us hayseeds-at-heart!

The Original Farmer's Almanac since 1792 - http://www.almanac.com/

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  07:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Wild turkeys return to survey Bramble's lawn accoutrements."
Bramble's a True Blue Farmgirl over on the Farmgirl Connection at www.maryjanesfarm.com.

Around here, the wild turkeys seem to have retreated back into the woods (fall hunting season), but my hub saw one nearly land on a big whitetail buck the other morning as it descended from its roost!

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  07:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
World Food Day
http://www.worldfooddayusa.org/

World Food Day (WFD) is a worldwide event designed to increase awareness, understanding and informed, year-around action to alleviate hunger. It is observed each October 16th in recognition of the founding of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in 1945. The first World Food Day was in 1981. In the United States the endeavor is sponsored by 450 national, private voluntary organizations.

WFD planning is done at the community level. Individual groups can hold a special event, but the most successful observances happen when organizers work together with affiliates of national sponsors. Local coalitions, representing the diversity of national sponsors, can share ideas that will involve schools, businesses, worship centers, government offices, service groups, the media, etc.

* Increase Awareness -- provide a briefing on the issues for the media; promote WFD.
* Increase Understanding -- work with schools and colleges; plan a community seminar.
* Increase Information -- help in coordinating a research project on community food security.
* Increase Support -- hold a fund raiser for local and/or international projects
* Increase Advocacy -- seek policy commitments from public officials (or candidates).
* Increase Networking -- use WFD to bring together people, ideas and resources.
* Increase Year-Around Action-- seek to involve people in on-going service/support.
* Increase Impact -- devise a means to measure the year to year progress you are making; consider World Food Day the "annual meeting" for hunger activists.

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clean Your Barn Weekend

I don't know about yours, but mine needs it! Saggy cobwebs, chicken feed bags, dust, dust, dust....

The Rural Life: "Barn Cleaning"
By VERLYN KLINKENBORG
New York Times

"I begin with the premise that the barn will never be clean. It has a dirt floor, and hay is always sifting down from the loft. Swallows have nested over the light fixtures, the chipmunks are everywhere and someone has dug a very proud hole under the wall near the horse tank. I can’t make it clean, but I can recover some territory. I’m not a real farmer, but I have a real farmer’s hoarding instinct — the belief that the thing I’m about to throw out will be just the thing I need down the road. Right now I’m trying to keep myself from throwing out a rubber feed pan that one of the horses has pawed a hole in. I have no idea what I would ever use it for, but that isn’t really the point. It isn’t a matter of knowing, looking forward. It’s a matter of not regretting, looking back."

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2007 :  09:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sweetest Day

Sweetest Day was created in the early 1900’s by several candy manufacturers to extend good will to those less fortunate. It originally began with the distribution of candy (usually boxes of chocolate) to newsboys, the elderly, the underprivileged, shut-ins, and orphans. These days, the holiday has evolved as a way to show appreciation to anyone – young, old, male, female, rich, or poor. Flowers, candy, chocolates, and cards are sent on Sweetest day to recognize all those special people in our lives.

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  6:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BABBLING DAY!

A day to celebrate the glib tongue. You know them when you hear them. They talk gibberish, or never stop talking, or babble on and on, or can turn a simple sentence into an endless dissertation....Oh, and FYI, it seems a "Blatherskite" is a person who babbles. Yada yada yada...

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today is "Nut Day" (sometimes you feel like a nut...)!
So what's your favorite?
I'm partial to almonds, roasted & lightly salted, ground into almond butter, or chopped to top yogurt & ice cream. Yum!

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  12:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
United Nations Day

"Proclaimed in 1948 by the United Nations General Assembly, United Nations Day is held annually on 24 October, the anniversary of the coming into force of the UN Charter on 24 October 1945. United Nations Day is devoted to making known to peoples of the world the aims and achievements of the United Nations Organization. United Nations Day is part of United Nations week, which runs from 20 October to 26 October."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Day

More info at www.un.org/events/unday

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  07:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dig in Your Hooves...

Today is Mule Day, a time to remember the humble beast and its many virtues. Legend has it that on this day, the first Spanish jacks arrived in the United States, a gift from the King of Spain to President George Washington in 1785.

Pictured: James Lockhart, born 1912, Arkansas, from the United States Series, 1947, oil and pencil on paperboard, 18 9/16 x 17 7/8 in., Smithsonian American Art Museum, Gift of Container Corporation of America.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 MaryJane's Outpost News: Previous Topic Farmgirl Calendar Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000