Page: of 3

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2007 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Full moon tonight...

"The symbolic seed flowers! This is the culmination of the waxing cycle and the beginning of the waning cycle. The Sun and Moon are farthest apart and form a direct opposition.

In general, a Full Moon pops things for better or worse. It acts as an in your face mirror that reveals how well you've done with your New Moon 'seed intentions'.

If you've released blockages and maintained a mostly positive attitude during the waxing period, the Full Moon brings fulfillment, illumination or revelation.

If you haven't nurtured your vision or have been harboring a negative attitude, the Full Moon can be expected to bring about a tug of war that can be a physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual conflict."

http://www.moonsurfing.com/full_moon.html

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  08:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy Halloween!

"Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).
The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter."

More history, trivia, and heebie-jeebie fun at http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=713&display_order=1&mini_id=1076

Edited by - Jen on Nov 01 2007 4:23:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  4:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today is both The Day of the Dead and All Saints' Day...

Day of the Dead (Dia de Los Muertos)

The Day of the Dead (Día de los Difuntos or Día de los Muertos in Spanish) is a holiday celebrated mainly in Mexico and the Mexican immigrant community living in the United States, with variations of it also observed in other Latin American countries and other parts of the world. The Mexican celebration occurs on November 1 (All Saints' Day) and November 2 (All Souls' Day).

Though the subject matter may be considered morbid from the perspective of some other cultures, celebrants typically approach the Day of the Dead joyfully, and though it occurs roughly at the same time as Halloween, All Saints' Day and All Souls Day, the traditional mood is much brighter with emphasis on celebrating and honoring the lives of the deceased, and celebrating the continuation of life; the belief is not that death is the end, but rather the beginning of a new stage in life. In Mexico and Mexican immigrant communities in the United States and Europe, the Day of the Dead is of particular cultural importance.

All Saints' Day

All Saints' Day, All Hallows, Hallowmas ("hallows" meaning "saints," and "mas" meaning "Mass"), is a feast celebrated on November 1 or on the first Sunday after Pentecost in honour of all the saints, known and unknown. Halloween is the day preceding it, and is so named because it is "The Eve of All Hallows". All Saints is also a Christian formula invoking all the faithful saints and martyrs, known or unknown. In terms of Catholic theology, the feast remembers all those who have attained the beatific vision in heaven, while the next day, All Souls' Day, commemorates the departed faithful who have not yet been purified and reached heaven.

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  4:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
November is National Nutrition Month

"National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign created by the American Dietetic Association. The campaign is designed to focus attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. NNM also promotes ADA and its members to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically-based food and nutrition information."

Learn mmore at http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ada/hs.xsl/NNM_2007_home.htm

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  12:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A day late and an hour short....

A belated reminder to turn those clocks back an hour. Personally, I wish we'd adjust our work schedules to live according to the sunlit hours. I really dislike getting up in pitch dark.

Origins of Daylight Savings:
"Although not punctual in the modern sense, the ancients adjusted daily schedules to the sun more flexibly than modern DST does, often dividing daylight into 12 equal hours regardless of day length, so that each daylight hour was longer during summer. For example, Roman water clocks had different scales for different months of the year: at Rome's latitude the third hour from sunrise, hora tertia, started by modern standards at 09:02 solar time and lasted 44 minutes at the winter solstice, but at the summer solstice it started at 06:58 and lasted 75 minutes. After ancient times, equal-length civil hours eventually supplanted unequal, so civil time no longer varies by season. Unequal hours are still used in a few traditional settings, such as some Mount Athos monasteries."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  12:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today is "Marooned Without a Compass Day"!

Which direction will you take? Navigate by the sun and stars, and check the trees for moss growing on the shaded north side of the trunk. Or, just wander in gleeful aimlessness - we all need to do that once in awhile [:)}

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  6:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Oh Jennifer...we would be _lost_ without you! ;D

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  08:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back at you, girl. We're a great group, aren't we? Keep it coming, ladies!

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  1:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forget-Me-Not Day

According to Holidayinsights.com, people use this day to get in touch with family, friends and loved ones, especially those who we haven't seen in a while. You don't want them to forget you, do you!? This day is intended to remember the living. But, some people have used it to memorialize a loved one who is no longer with us.

Here are some great ways to celebrate National Forget Me Not Day:

* Send Forget Me Not Day Ecards to everyone on your email address book.
* Send Forget Me Not flowers to people you haven't seen in a while.
* Give Forget Me Not flower seed packets to family and friends. This is very popular. The seed packets are very inexpensive and easy to mail.
* Phone people you haven't seen in a while and wish them a happy National Forget Me Not Day. They will get the message.

http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/November/forgetmenotday.htm

Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  5:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband is now in Hospice so Forget Me Not day will always be remembered. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  6:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today is Veterans Day, the American holiday honoring military veterans. Both a federal holiday and a state holiday in all states, it marks the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)

Today is also the birthday of Elizabeth Cady Stanton, (November 12, 1815 – October 26, 1902). She was an American social activist and leading figure of the early woman's movement. Her Declaration of Sentiments, presented at the first women's rights convention held in 1848 in Seneca Falls, New York, is often credited with initiating the first organized woman's rights and woman's suffrage movements in the United States.

Before Stanton narrowed her political focus almost exclusively to women's rights, she was an active abolitionist together with her husband, Henry Stanton and cousin, Gerrit Smith. Unlike many of those involved in the women's rights movement, Stanton addressed a number of issues pertaining to women beyond voting rights. Her concerns included women's parental and custody rights, property rights, employment and income rights, divorce laws, the economic health of the family, and birth control. She was also an outspoken supporter of the 19th century temperance movement.

After the American Civil War, Stanton's commitment to female suffrage caused a schism in the women's rights movement when she, along with Susan B. Anthony, declined to support passage of the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution. She opposed giving added legal protection and voting rights to African American men while continuing to deny women, black and white, the same rights. Her position on this issue, together with her thoughts on organized Christianity and women's issues beyond voting rights, led to the formation of two separate women's rights organizations that were finally rejoined, with Stanton as president of the joint organization, approximately twenty years later.
Learn more at

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  11:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day - Who Knew??

I actually cleaned mine out a few weeks ago when it was practically empty & so I had no excuse not to. Now it's filling up for Thanksgiving, so I dare not attempt a clean-out today. Hats off to all of you brave, meticulous souls who do!

From Practically Edible: The Web's Biggest Food Encyclopedia
http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/encyclopaedia!openframeset&frame=Right&Src=/edible.nsf/pages/cleanoutyourrefrigeratorday!opendocument&BaseTarget=Right

"Today is a day dedicated to fridges filled with USO's -- unidentified shriveled objects. Seriously, the search for new life forms should start in some people's vegetable crispers.

So you think, okay, I'll throw out all the expired jars, as well as the jars with the little bits of crusty jam in them. But that's just the start. They want you to get all hardcore about it, and actually clean the fridge. And the real catch? You have to do it yourself -- they don't actually send a team round house to house to do it for you.

But afterwards, everyone gets the fun of comparing notes about the grossest thing they found in their fridge. Produce drawers can be the worst, where vegetables have decomposed over the past year into brownish gels. Some people have vegetable crispers that are so bad they should make certain they have handy the number for a hazardous waste disposal team.

It's not such a bad time of year to tackle it, actually. You'll need the space for the holidays coming up, and when you're desperately rooting in the fridge for stuff to feed to unexpected guests, you 'll want to be sure that you don't haul out something that will kill anyone (unintentionally, at least). It's also a good time to check the temperature in your fridge, before you begin storing all kinds of expensive holiday food in it.

Suggested tasks involve:

* Take everything out;
* Wash down and disinfect the inside walls of the refrigerator, the shelves, and all along the door seal;
* Wash everything going back in - bins, racks, and even the outsides of jars;
* Vacuum the coils at the back of the fridge, if your model has them;
* Clean the floor underneath the fridge.

History
It would appear that the idea for a "Clean Out Your Fridge Day" might have started with Whirlpool Corporation, starting in 1995, aiming for it to be the third Wednesday in November.

1995 - Wednesday, 10 November
1996 - Wednesday, 20 November
1997 - Wednesday, 19 November
1998 - Wednesday, 18 November
1999 - Wednesday, 19 November
2000 - Wednesday 15 November

It appears to be around 2000 that a more general awareness of it came about, when E-Card companies that year listed it as a holiday for the 15th of November, and people made postings about it being the 15th of November (which turned up in searches that people did in later years.)

In 2001, the E-Card companies posted it again as 15 November, not having realized that the scheme intended by Whirlpool was a moving date attached to the third Wednesday of the month, which would have made it the 14th of November in 2001. People with personal, home-spun websites compiling dates of special days included the 15th of November as "Clean Out Your Fridge Day", and other people copied their lists and reposted them.

At the same time, Whirlpool seems to have lost interest in it, or had its publicity lost amongst the voices of other sources saying the 15th. Practically Edible was unable to find any publicity from Whirlpool on the matter from 2001 to 2003 inclusive.

In 2004, Whirlpool in partnership with Glad products declared 4 to 10th April to be National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Week. But it seems to have been too late to change the 15th November date that got stuck in people's minds. Even Emiril, the American chef, wrote in his daily notes for 15 November 2005: "I just learned that today is 'National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day.' (Retrieved August 2006 from http://www.emerils.com/cooking/archives/002399.html). In fact, though, in Whirlpool's original scheme, it would have been the next day, Wednesday, 16th November.

The 15th of November seems to make the most sense. People always have an easier time remembering fixed dates such as Christmas, than they do moving dates attached to a scheme they don't understand, such as Easter is. And it does come right before the start of the holiday rush. In any event, through constant repetition of a misunderstanding, the 15th of November has indeed become Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day.

Edited by - Jen on Nov 15 2007 12:00:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  3:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday just slipped right by without me noticing that it was BUTTON DAY! According to Holiday Insights.com, www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/November/buttonday.htm, Button Day "is a fun day to collect, use, and just enjoy buttons. Button come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, colors and designs. There is an amazingly endless variety of buttons for your collection. But, wait a minute....is that the meaning of this day!? Maybe, the purpose of this day is to wear buttons. You know, those diverse buttons that send a message for political purposes. Or, ones that have funny sayings. Or, a button with a smiley face to cheer everyone up."

So, Happy Belated Button Day to You!!

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  09:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope you all had a cozy, cheerful Thanksgiving. The weather turned cold here in northern Arkansas, just perfect for the holiday. We enjoyed a delicious meal with the woodstove crackling, and then we walked outside in the frosty evening air to make room for dessert! I am truly grateful for my many blessings.

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." -Marcel Proust

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  7:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weather is cold and misty in my neck of the woods. This morning it was 23 degrees out. I went to a long walk this weekend and was suprised at how chilled I got even working hard. I had to take a warm bath to recover.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  10:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With grandparents here to tend the kids, I got to enjoy a warm bath yesterday - a rare treat!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 MaryJane's Outpost News: Previous Topic Farmgirl Calendar Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000