Page: of 3

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  06:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy? Pins and Needles Day!

The real origin of this special day goes back to the labor movement in the 1930s. The pro-labor Broadway musical Pins and Needles, opened on this day in 1937, at the Labor Stage Theater in New York City. This play was written by Harold Rome. It was produced by the International Ladies Garment Workers' Union. Union members made up the cast. It ran for 1108 performances, once holding the record for longevity. http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/November/pinsandneedles.htm

Over time, people lost track of the original meaning of this day. Now, most people think it's a nervous and anxious day. Why would anybody commemorate that?

So, anyway, have a calm & serene Pins and Needles Day

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy & Happy Square Dance Day!

English, French, Irish, and Scottish settlers brought square dancing to the U.S. As it evolved here, a caller was added to help dancers stay in step. It remains popular among southern and western rural areas, and with senior citizens.

Square Dancing is both fun, and great exercise. To learn more about swinging your partner round 'n round, go to http://www.dosado.com/

Yee-haw!

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  8:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What fun - December is Howdy Neighbor Month!

And today is Rosa Parks Day - Hurray for Rosa!

"On the evening of December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks, an African American, was arrested for disobeying an Alabama law requiring black passengers to relinquish seats to white passengers when the bus was full. Blacks were also required to sit at the back of the bus. Her arrest sparked a 381-day boycott of the Montgomery bus system and led to a 1956 Supreme Court decision banning segregation on public transportation." http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/dec01.html

Rosa Parks: "Why do you push us around?"
Officer: "I don't know but the law is the law and you're under arrest."

From Rosa Parks with Gregory J. Reed, Quiet Strength
(Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Pub. House, 1994), page 23.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Edited by - Jen on Dec 01 2007 8:02:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  12:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's National Cookie Day - Yea!!

I LOVE cookies, so I get a giggle every time I see Aunt Jenny's tagline over on the MaryJanesFarm forum: "Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies." Sure enough, cookies do it every time!

Last night, I made Carob-Pecan Oatmeal Cookies and sent a couple in Rita's lunch bag today (I love giving her little tidbits of homemade love while she's at school). My recipe was simply the one that's printed on the underside of the Quaker Oats lid (the slow-cooking kind). Then, I dumped in a hearty amount of carob chips and pecan pieces. They were delicious!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  08:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy Chanukkah!

Chanukkah (Hebrew: #1495;#1504;#1493;#1499;#1492;#8206;, also spelled Hanukkah, Chanukah or Hanukah), also known as the Festival of Lights, is an eight-day Jewish holiday beginning on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may fall anytime from late November to late December. It celebrates the rededication of the Second Temple at the time of the Maccabee rebellion. The festival is observed by the kindling of lights on each night of the holiday: one on the first night, two on the second, and so on.

Read lots more about the history and traditions of Chanukkah at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanukkah

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  09:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As if we need another reason to eat pastries this month, today is PASTRY DAY! Have a crispy, fluffy, sweet, yummy day

Jen

Edited by - Jen on Dec 09 2007 09:21:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  08:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you believe the year is almost over! It's almost 2008! I am going to have such a hard time accepting the transition this year! LOL

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  2:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's Underdog Day, so celebrate an unsung hero!

And I agree, Elizaray - how can a whole year have gone by already? 2008, here we come....!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2007 :  09:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you know it's Oatmeal Muffin Day?
Me neither! But here's a simple yummy recipe to try:

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
Yields: 12 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup blueberries, rinsed and drained

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix in milk, egg, and oil; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in blueberries. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
2. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.

PS - I just got my 2008 MaryJanesFarm Calendar, and I think it may be even more beautiful than '07!
Check it out at http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=299&ProductID=75040002

Jen

Edited by - Jen on Dec 19 2007 09:52:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  10:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Jen

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 MaryJane's Outpost News: Previous Topic Farmgirl Calendar Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000