LeslieAnne
outbound

29 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater TX
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  11:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a GREAT forum!!!.. I'm so glad I noticed the link on MJF Farmgirl Connection... I've been a member there for about 3 & 1/2 years & love it, although I don't post as often as I'd like...

A little about me... I live just outside the tiny community of Shallowater, Texas, that's near Lubbock, hometown of Buddy Holly & Texas Tech University... I grew up on a farm way up there in the top of the Texas Panhandle... I've been a camper most of my life, but last year when I went tent camping at Palo Duro Canyon State Park, it was the first time I had slept in a tent in several years... I hope to do a lot more this year...

The outdoors & nature are my first loves, & I just became a Certified Texas Master Naturalist last summer... we have a relatively new chapter here & have just started our second training class...

It's gonna be fun getting to know all of you...

LeslieAnne...westTexas

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  12:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, LeslieAnne, great to have you! If you get a chance, I'd love to hear more about the Naturalist program - not sure if we have such a thing here in Arkansas.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
outbound

29 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater TX
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  10:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen, thanks for the nice welcome...

The Texas Master Naturalist (TMN) Program is modeled after the well-known Master Gardener Program... in TMN, we enhance our love of nature with research-based, scientific knowledge... we receive in-depth training in wildlife & natural resource management taught by recognized experts in the field & customized to focus on the native ecosystems of our area... we also have the opportunity for advanced training in special subjects that interest us, either as a group or as individuals... in return, we provide our community with volunteer service in the form of educational activities, projects, or demonstrations...

Our sponsors are Texas AgriLife Extension Service & Texas Parks & Wildlife Department...

You can read more about it at http://masternaturalist.tamu.edu/ ... I don't know if Arkansas has a Master Naturalist program or not... you might check with your state's agricultural extension service...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  11:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What an excellent program, LeslieAnne! You Texans are very conservation-conscious -- I don't think Texas gets enough credit for that. Do you all have the "1% of 1 cent sales tax" that goes to conservation? My home state of MO has an outstanding fish & game department based on funds from that tax.

I googled "Master Naturalist Program" and found that many states have one, including Arkansas!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
outbound

29 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater TX
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  11:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen, that's great that you found a Master Naturalist program in Arkansas... I thought maybe Texas wasn't the only state that had the program, but I didn't know for sure...

I don't know about the 1% of 1 cent of sales tax deal... I do know that all sales tax attributed to sporting goods goes to support Texas State Parks... I'll have to do some more digging to find out more...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  4:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum LeslieAnne! It sounds like you are a true blue outdoors girl! I will have to check out the Naturalist program in my area and if they don't have one, maybe I should petition for it to be introduced!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Welcome: Previous Topic Howdy from Texas... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000