Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Ecopinions
 Wal-Mart Wants Your Feedback About Food
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Ecopinions: Previous Topic Wal-Mart Wants Your Feedback About Food Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  3:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wal-Mart's Senior Director of Sustainability, Rand Waddroup, posted an entry on Wal-Mart's blog yesterday enititled "Sustainable Industrialized Food?" in response to a comment on a previous post questioning whether probiotically-enhanced yogurts like DanActive represent some kind of great technological breakthrough. Waddroup wrote:

“Having finished Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma just a few nights ago, I've been thinking a lot about this topic and in general about food, health, and sustainability. Quoting Michael Pollan from In Defense of Food, "We are eating a lot of edible food-like substances, which is to say highly processed things that might be called yogurt, might be called cereals, whatever, but in fact are very intricate products of food science that are really imitations of foods."

He then goes on to solicit feedback:

"I know food, in general, is a very sensitive topic for a lot of people, but what do you think should and can be done in the short term to make the industrialized food chain better? What products should Wal-Mart have that they don't to meet your desires for a more sustainable food assortment? If you could choose one item you would want removed from stores, what would it be?”
You can question Waddroup’s motives and sincerity, as I’m sure many folks will, but how often do we have an opportunity to give America’s number one food retailer our two cents’ worth? Here's the link if anyone cares to comment:

http://www.checkoutblog.com/entries/2008/2/26/yogurt___good_or_bad.aspx

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  9:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, at least he/they are acknowledging there is a problem. I don't know what to think about his motivations and sincerity, but I applaud the fact that a discussion is even happening in the first place.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  10:47:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep. I tend toward skepticism, but nothing will improve without discussion.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Ecopinions: Previous Topic Wal-Mart Wants Your Feedback About Food Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000