Author Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic good novel Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  11:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the last novel I actually finished - even wrote an Amazon review, which reads:

A friend gave me a copy of A SUDDEN COUNTRY, thinking I'd like it because Karen Fisher and her characters are rough and tumble wilderness types, much like the modern women in my recent anthology, A MILE IN HER BOOTS. But as it turns out, I am writing my first ever book review because I found many more acres of common ground in this novel than I imagined. With brazen honesty, Fisher explores raw, gut-level intricacies of humanity--and of my own experience as mother, wife, wanderer--with such skillfully terse poetry that I was reminded why good fiction is worth reading. She takes hold of words and reins them in, wielding them with unsentimental precision, molding them with a sculptor's hand, so that you see, smell, and taste them, rubbing the grit of the story between your fingers as you read it.

The rangy, rugged backdrop of untamed America lured me from the cushions of my couch back to wilder times, when the savage beauty of mere survival was a person's daily toil. I suspect, on some level, many of us hunger for that kind of crude simplicity. I know I do. And, as I read, I got to thinking that although the landscapes on which our lives play out may differ, our condition is pretty much the same in any era. Fleeting moments of intense emotion roar, flicker, and inevitably wash cool in the current of time. Events so significant, so all-consuming, in the present moment are rendered memory across miles of unsympathetic terrain. Passions blur, tears run dry. And yet, throughout the journey, we find ourselves evolving the way Fisher's characters do, pushing onward, accumulating dark and delicate scars that remind us of who we have become.

History, wilderness, romance, drama, fiber - A SUDDEN COUNTRY has it all. I highly recommend it.

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  09:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds interesting. I might have to pick that one up as well :) My "to buy" list is getting rather long all of a sudden....

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Clare
outbound

16 Posts

N..C. Washington
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  2:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with you Jen. Over at MJF, we talked about the book when it first came out. I also highly recommend it....

Here's the link if you're interested in reading more:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1805&SearchTerms=A+Sudden+Country

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  07:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oooh, good - thanks, Clare!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Backcountry Bookshelf: Previous Topic good novel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000