Printer Friendly
Author Birdwatching: Previous Topic Hidden Bird, beautiful song Next Topic  

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  2:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some wonderful trees around my duplex, some wild grass in my back yard and more trees in yards surrounding ours. I get glimpses of birds occasionally, and the people downstairs have put up a birdfeeder which we all hope will attract even more birds.

The other day I was out in the backyard with Puppy and my little one and I heard a beautiful birdsong. However, for the life of me, I could not pinpoint where it was coming from let alone spot the bird itself.

Can anyone recommend a good book that can help you identify a bird by it's call/song?

I have seen some egg heavy Robins flitting about and what I am assuming are barn sparrows.

Thanks!

Elizaray

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  08:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Song IDs are tough, esp this time of year when several bird species utilize an array of mating songs. I know there are CDs that offer birdsong IDs, but I haven't tried them. I always just rely on seeing whose singing, then trying for an ID.

A good all-around guide is the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds. I've referred to it for years & like it better than the Peterson's guide (though I don't remember why!). I also have & like Birds of North America published by Golden. It has illustrations & Audubon has photos.

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Edited by - Jen on Apr 10 2007 08:15:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  7:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Audubon Society Field Guide to the Pacific Northwest. For me a book that is more localized is great. I have about 5 different Bird books so I can tear and compare if I am undecided. I have a couple books about Raptors. I went to some Raptor classes in Skagit County and did learn a lot. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  10:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to find a localized Audubon book for this area- although until I find the elusive little bird I will probably have a hard time identifying him/her. :)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Birdwatching: Previous Topic Hidden Bird, beautiful song Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000