Author Birdwatching: Previous Topic Bird Decline Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  12:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The populations of 20 common American birds - from the fence-sitting meadowlark to the whippoorwill with its haunting call - are half what they were 40 years ago, according to an analysis released Thursday..."

Link: http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/06/14/ap3823359.html

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  12:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the control of WestNile had repercussions.

I know the Bobwhites here have been hit by the developments encroaching.
Here is the word from Audubon
http://www.audubon.org/bird/stateofthebirds/CBID/whatYouCanDo.php
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  1:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same trouble with bobwhites here. When we bought our place, it was grazed down to dirt by horses & cattle, but the veg came back strong this spring (and not too many noxious weed problems). We were offered a free horse, and of course our first thought was, "We own land, we COULD have a horse!" But then, our conservation consciousness kicked in, and we realized that if we manage our land for wildlife, like we always said we would, then we'd have a little haven here among all the cattle country. Sure enough, the quail are singing, deer are grazing, bob cat & kitten tracks by the creek. It's tough explaining to kids that you can't very well have the horse of their dreams & still keep 25 acres wildlife-friendly, but the lesson is one we can feel good about in the end.

Oh, and speaking of noxious weeds, my hub wrote an article a few years ago about the evils of sericea lespedeza. Ever heard of it? I hadn't. But it's a bad weed. Here's a link to his article:
http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2004/07/30.htm

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  01:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we don't have the lespedeza here. interesting article thanks for sharing.
most of our lost of habitats for the birds come from saltmarsh impoundments to control mosquitos.
i live south of a national wildlife refuge...<~~~ one of the two largest havens for neotropical migratory birds and the 2nd largest florida scrub jays population.
Go to Top of Page
  Birdwatching: Previous Topic Bird Decline Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000