Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  11:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is a "day off" for my family as far as work off the farm goes, so my boys (all three of 'em) are out mending fences, and I'm cleaning up around the place after being gone for a few days.

It is absolutely gorgeous weather here, so after I get the place just under control enough, I'm heading outside for a walk down to the old sugar beet factory and back, and I'm getting my root crops and the like planted today. The boys said they'd come back and help, so I'm going to take them up on it!

What are your plans for the day?

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  3:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just sitting on the deck enjoying the beautiful weather. My sons are visiting from out of state and we've been really busy doing things with them. Went to the scablands area of southern Wa for a couple of days. Had a great time, lovely weather. Yesterday took one son to the airport and Wed. we take the other. I've seen a lot of Spokane lately: ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  3:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Libbie -
It's been a pretty slow day here. I woke up all revved up to get outside, but a cold front crept in overnight, along with clouds and chilly sprinkles, so I felt more like snuggling up. It's supposed to freeze Monday night, so we're plotting about how to protect our new berry bushes. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to protect all of the oaks. Last year, during a late hard freeze, trees all over the region lost their leaves and their acorn crops, which so many animals eat. It was rough. Not again!

On a high note, though, last night we went to our first get-together since we moved to Arkansas & made new friends FINALLY! It was really fun - everybody sat out by a bonfire on a gorgeous slab of Ozark mountain glade rock. Several people played guitar, so there was great music, laughter, and a star-studded sky above. A wonderful time!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  5:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the windows thrown open, listening to the birds chirp. I groomed my dog today- helping her shed her winter coat and the baby and I went for a walk in the sunshine. I have a hearty soup bubbling on the stove and I have been cleaning all day.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  06:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a late frost last night - hope all our berries & trees survived - but today is GLORIOUS!! Can't wait to rally the troops and get outside [:D}

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  06:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad it's pretty SOMEWHERE today! We had a GORGEOUS day yesterday, but today is starting out to be so windy and cool I started a fire in the stove. Wind drives me nuts - it dries out all the new growth and is so hard to be outside in...BUT I have a feeling we have a treat of an afternoon in store!

JoAnn and Elizaray - how's the weather treating you today? Is it still loverly?

Jen - how are your berries and trees? I just love berries (well, AND trees!). What kinds did you plant?

XOXO, Libbie

Edited by - Libbie on Apr 15 2008 07:00:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  08:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to normal temperatures here. Sun is shining . Can't complain after the high temperatures this past weekend our stream was running high. It's got down a bit. The area that was still full of snow a couple of days ago now has crocus blooming. Jen, your hootenany(sp) boy does that date me, sounded like lots of fun. May you experience many more. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

the bees knees
outthinking

2 Posts

Joyce
Monroe LA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  7:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a light freeze last night, also...can you even imagine that in Louisiana in mid April...go figure!!! Hopefully my new plants are okay...I think they're fine...but it was nice and sunny outside today!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  5:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean, Joyce - weird weather here in the southland!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  11:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, today's sunny and cold here in the high desert - I'm just cleaning up around the yard and house - and hopefully getting some cold-weather crops in later this afternoon. It's some weird weather over the nation, it sounds like...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  1:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting ready for a little jaunt to Hood River for their Blossom Fest. Of course the weather is suppose to turn and be cold and windy: ( I almost cancelled but there are somethings that are held inside and I'm hoping the weatherman is wrong. Have you heard of the fancy Columbia Gorge Hotel there. Well I found a cute motel that's right next door for very little money and you can walk through the motel's gardens to the CGR hotel grounds including a waterfall. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  8:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Blossom Fest sounds wonderful - as does the CGR Hotel - I've not heard of it, but I don't know my way around Washington at all. What kind of flowers/blossoms are in bloom up there right now? I'll bet it'll be lovely - but you may want to pack rain gear just in case!

Here, we have one poor, lone apricot tree down the street that has (yet again) bloomed too early. It did this same thing last year and the promptly froze about three weeks later. A few daffodils are around, and some tulips are starting to swell, too.

All of our ewes have lambed, too, so no more fussing around with that. It's SO fun...for the first week...then it becomes work. Good work, but work nonetheless.

And tonight? Well, the dishes. That is the household "chore" that I most dislike. I MUST find something rewarding and fun about it. Any ideas?!?!?!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  10:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love Hood River. My daughter Rita was born there. Will the fruit trees all be in bloom already? They just fill the valley - so lovely! Look right across the river, JoAnn, and you'll see our old stomping grounds - the White Salmon River country. Oh, just thinking of it makes my gypsy heart ache. If you get a hankering for Chinese food while you're there, try Grace Sue's - best I've had in years. Have a great time, whatever the weather!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  12:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is a windy, windy springlike day. I don't mean breezy - I mean bend-the-elms-over-windy. I can hardly stand to be outside. It seems that I can take hot and cold so much better than windy. It just blows the energy right out of me. What do you all do to make wind bearable?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  09:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a kid, the wind terrified me. For awhile we lived in a trailer in the Colorado foothills. The wind would rattle and shake the flimsy carport, making all kinds of racket, and my sister and I would huddle up and cry! Then, as an adult, I started liking the wind - found it exciting. But living in Ellensburg, WA a couple years ago, I realized how exhausting constant, blow-your-hair-off wind can be -- so I feel for you, Libbie. Even on the brightest, sunniest days, I'd stay huddled up inside to hide from that relentless wind! We had no big trees or hilly contours nearby, so the one outdoor place that was bearable was our tiny patio in the lee of the house (is that proper usage of "lee"?) when the sun was high & warm.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  2:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is another windy one. Yeah, Jen - I can relate to your love/non-love relationship with the wind. I really like it when I'm inside, safe and sound, but when I'm out "choring" (is that even a word?) it just tears me up. I walked down to the sheep corrals, about 1/4 of a mile from the house - not far - last night late to feed (the kids just weren't going to bed...) and was there in record time, but had to lean forward at around a 45degree angle to make it back home!

Today is an inside day - I'm making lemony Caesar salads for dinner with rhubarb cobbler brought by a good friend for dessert. What a spring dinner! It's such the wrong day for it! Oh well, we can't have it all at the same time, now, can we?!?!?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  2:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a fun time in Hood River. It was much colder than normal and all the fruit farmers are worried about there blossoms freezing. Seaside Or which the name implies is right on the ocean and they got about three inches of snow. Almost unheard of. The promised constant rain did not happen.I actually got to see Mt Hood and Mt. Adams in their full glory. I was going to venture up to the Timberline lodge and ski area but they were getting lots of snow. The fruit trees were in full bloom at lower elevations but higher up they were still in bud. They are beautiful. The gardens at the Columbia Gorge Hotel were in full bloom. Every sort of flowering plant was blooming. Jen did I mention that I have been in Ellensburg? One year when Eric was in graduate school in Corvallis I went to see him. Before I got there he had been on a hiking trip or something and his Volkswagen bus broke down and it got towed to Ellensurg. I had to drive his friend and him up there to get it after it was fixed. I found a beautiful morel candle at a gift shop up there. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Welcome: Previous Topic What'chall up to Today? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000