Page: of 4

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Washington is just a fantastic state, isn't it? My hub has always said it encompasses so much more than one state's worth of natural wonders - so diverse. We've been lucky enough to live on (and off!) the Olympic Peninsula, in the Columbia Gorge country, and up in the drier central area on the east side of the mountains - and we've driven just about everywhere in between. It'll always be a second home to us. Glad you weren't all fogged-in, JoAnn, even if it was chilly!

It's stormy here today - skies so dark & tumultuous. I had just laid down a layer of cardboard around my new raspberry canes this morning (all 26 of them), when the wind whipped up and sent them flying! I scrambled to pick 'em up and cram them under the wheelbarrow, then I hightailed it to the house with Sophie & Sam before the lightening hit.

Happy Earth Day, ladies!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like Mama Nature was whipping up a storm fo ya, Jen! And you two are making me want to take a big tour of Washington state - I've never been there for any length of time at all, and it sounds so very lovely. I'm a desert girl at heart, so I know it would be but a travel-through, but sometimes the thought of fog and humidity sounds just like heaven...

Today it's windy again. The plants and the people on this farm are about ready for a break, I'll tell ya' - I have to set sprinklers for a few things, and I had to set some about 10' away to get the water in the right place. I'd do it at night, but the wind hasn't stopped, even at night, which is unusual. Hmmmmm....BUT, on the bright side, the air is sooooooo clear and I can see forever!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  12:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Girls -
I updated my blog with some new pics - not too may because in a lot of my photos the farm looks a little raggedy growing into its new coat of spring leaves...kinda like a molting chicken
So lovely in person, though...I love to watch the seasons change in one place. Also added an older but beautiful photo of my dogs, Buddy (big brown one) & Frank (little white one).

www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  10:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi my wonderful outpost friends!

I am still living in the "city" but have been getting out and walking. The country is only about a mile and a quarter down the road. With a little effort I can get to places where I can watch horses grazing and hear roosters crowing. It has been a very cold spring here in the Pacific Northwest and I am really looking forward to an active and adventuresome summer! I have planted a few things things for the spring. I can't seem to be without some sort of garden crop- it just isn't right! But hubby, baby and I are moving to the desert this fall. It it time that we settled somewhere and we never have felt quite comfortable with all this moisture. Moss growing on rooftops? Weird. Give me sage brush and cactus. ;)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  06:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Elizaray - that's exciting about your move to the desert - that's where I live - a high mountain valley in central Utah that's really deserty and dry... It's great to hear from you - and I'm really looking forward to an active summer, too. Aside from the beauty of being outside in and of itself, I've got some stuff to get done!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  07:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Libbie!

Me too! I generally give myself over to cleaning about twice a week (grubby baby hands sure make a mess!) and it looks like my house really needs it today. It is a bit overcast today so I probably won't be outside too much. I need to find some baby sized galoshes!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My cleaning habits have SO gone to pot lately. I am so wrapped up in working outside that I can't seem to prioritize the inside stuff. But, I really hate a messy house - it interferes with all my good creative energy, so I got it back into a livable state yesterday. Today, Sophie, Sam, and I planted melon seeds (Amish "Moon & Stars" watermelon) and pumpkin seeds that we saved from last year. Sam (almost 2) liked sprinkling the seeds in the dirt and then gathering them back up again. He carried a handful around for quite awhile, so who knows where we might find pumpkins popping up!

Elizaray, hi!! Will you plant even one or two things -- even in pots?? I've got spinach started in a pot, and I think I'll just leave it there & see what it does...

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  11:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jennifer- Oh yes! I have tomatoes and couldn't pass up some strawberries. I might even do a "salad" pot with spinach and lettuce and a few other things as well. I hate being "landless" lol.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  12:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As long as you've got a pot full o' soil, you've got a claim, Elizaray! Do you know exactly where you'll be moving (do you already have a house waiting)? Tell us more...

It's gusty today but sunny and warm!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  10:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jen-

No we don't have a house yet- we will probably rent for a year until we get our feet under us. We aren't even sure what town for sure we will move to, but we really love being close to the mountain so maybe somewhere close to Red Lodge Montana

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  09:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exciting! I miss those footloose days, Elizaray - enjoy the adventure of it all (in spite of the inevitable stress)!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  12:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a gorgeous, warm spring day here - and we just got 14 new baby chicks in the mail. Yea! I'm going to fret over them - yes, like a mother hen - till they get big and strong. But, they're so cute. We got Egyptian Fayoumis, Cuckoo Marans, Cochins, and a little mystery chick who has a gimpy neck, so I'm really hoping it pulls through.
Will keep you posted!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  1:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen I assume the tornados that went through AR early missed you. Spring finally has come to stay (I hope). I'm coming down from a cloud after 4 days at MJ's Farm. Found out that darling Katie at the farm grew up in Colville! Goodness she is one talented young woman. Jim took me in back and showed me where all the morels are popping up. Must have been at least 50! We're waiting for them to get big enough to stuff. I hate to say this but we do need some rain. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  7:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh how fun! You visted MJF! I bet you had lots of fun! Did you stay in one of the wall tents?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  9:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wall tents are wonderful but I stayed in the loft above the farm kitchen that I got to stay in when Cindylou and I attempted to "sleep" on the trampoline at the first Farmgirl campout. What's wonderful about it is that it is heated. It gets a little nippy in the evenings and I didn't have to worry about lighting the wood stove to keep warm. The Farm is a magical place and I wish everyone could experience it. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  07:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a lovely time, JoAnn!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Welcome: Previous Topic What'chall up to Today? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page