Page: of 4

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  07:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The aura of that farm is just amazing - so much positive energy brimming and yet such tranquility at the same time. I stayed in a wall tent that night that JoAnn and Cindylou were tramp-camping. It was a lovely experience, and it hooked me on luxury-in-the-rough (in my dreams, anyway!).

My chicks are alive & well today - even the gimpy one. And yes, we dodged the tornadoes again - whew!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  09:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just love MaryJanes farm. I was there in 2005, and it truly was a pivotal time for me - it's when I realized that my dream of having a working farm COULD come true - I was seeing a woman who was living my dream - in real life! I saw the tranquil result of hard work, and was SOOoooo inspired by the action, ideas and energy there - just like you describe Jen - positive energy and tranquility at the same time. That's so unique...

Today it's another work outside day - no specific plans, I think we'll just see things and do 'em.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  1:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I lost my gimpy chick...sigh....my research revealed that it was a silkie breed chick, and they are terribly prone to this condition called "crookneck." It's likely because they have NO skull bone atop their little heads, so they are susceptible to brain injuries! No thanks! I won't be ordering any silkies hereafter - sounds like a setup for heartbreak every time. But, the rest of the fluffy little peeps are thriving. I'll post a couple photos on my blog soon.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww- I am sorry to hear about losing your chick, Jennifer!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  12:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Elizaray....lost another today, and I'm not sure why. She was a little buff cochin. Her leg seemed like it might have gotten injured a few days ago, so I separated her & gave her extra TLC, but she just kinda withered away. I'm not too worried about disease or anything yet - I think they were just isolated injuries, but I'm watching the rest carefully. In the meantime, I may get some more...

Re-vamped my blackberry trellis today so that the canes aren't sprawled all over the ground. Also rebuilt the garden/chicken yard gate which my hub accidentally broke with the tiller a while back. Ahhh, farm living!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  06:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, there, gals!

I was thinking about your chicks, Jen, and sometimes it's just the luck of the draw, so to speak, when you order them. I really wouldn't worry too much about disease, either, if I were you. One thing, though -- I know I always have to keep their little "seats" clean so they don't get plugged up for the first little while - you might want to keep an extra eye on their behinds (farm life, is right, huh?!?!)

So, today's plan is to weed the strawberries and get their little bed all spruced up, and then to start in planting the grapevines that have been waiting here. My husband has had that hernia surgery a couple of weeks ago, and can't (won't?!?!?!) help with it (can you tell I'm just a TAD but frustrated here?) but ANYHOO, the little ones and I will go at it with shovels today and see what we can do. I have eighteen of them to plant, so I'll keep you posted.

Hey - Jen - whad'ya use for a blackberry trellis? Would it work for raspberries, to you think?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  07:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've been plucking their pasty little bird bottoms. The rest are getting fat & sassy, and I ordered 26 more, including Dorkings, which I've wanted from the get-go. They sound like the ideal chicken breed!

My blackberry trellis....well, Libbie, I am the queen of "resourceful farming." The previous owners had the blackberries trained onto a system of wires tied to t-posts and some old metal posts that probably came from some old porch railings. Soooo, I cut the porch posts in half with a hacksaw & pounded them back in, then I re-wired the whole thing so that it was tighter & straighter. No great feat, but it works a bit better now (& isn't so tall & teetery). Lots of flowers!!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  9:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll have to let me know how the Dorkings are - I haven't heard of them, but I'm sure no chicken expert! I've just had loads of Buff Orpingtons and Arucanas (I'm always thinking I spell that one wrong...). I remember the first "batch" of little ones we got. This was BC (as in...Before Children), so I had WAY more time on my hands, but I would pick up each one and give it a little "rinse" in the sink with warm water so I wouldn't hurt their little "seat" feathers. Then I would sort of towel them off with a washcloth and put them right back under a "grow light." I did this DAILY. We had ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY. WHAT was I THINKING?!?!?!?

Your trellis sounds great - and be sure not to consider ANYTHING done on your farm "no great feat." I really think that wonderful things are put together, well, post by post! I'll say you're the resourceful queen - now I know who I'm coming to when I have a problem I just can't figure out on the farm!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  09:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tee-hee! Well, I say "resourceful" with a little twinkle in my eye...one gal's trash is another's trellis/fence/chicken coop/whatever, right?! Just made a little outside chick pen out of an old wooden box spring frame and recycled chicken wire - works like a charm!

150 baby buns to pick 'n wipe!?! You were a mother-in-training for sure! We're supposed to get our new chicks today or tomorrow - yea!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  11:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is SO cool about the "chick tractor!" I have four chicken tractors here, and I just love them - they do a LOT of weeding - sort of like earning their keep, ya' know?

Today it's cool and windy - it's been downright COLD the past two days. My boys and I have been fighting colds - and today is the first day I think we're going to win. It's so hard to see little ones suffer - when they're so stuffy they wake up because they can't breathe. In a strange way, I've really enjoyed the quiet times with each of them in the middle of the nights when we get up for a bottle (of juice) or just some snuggle time. I just love those boys!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  08:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm...we didn't "win" the deal about having colds. Arthur and I still are down with one, and William's has progressed into what I am pretty sure is pneumonia. He had it in the autumn, and this is pretty much the same - he spiked a really high fever last night, but he seems much more "okay" this morning. We'll see. If he's at all worse today, it's "to the Dr. we go!"

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  1:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let us know how you & the young'ns are doing, Libbie. Lots of good thoughts going your way. I'm so crazy busy. Got 26 MORE chicks yesterday, and had to fight a possum out of the coop that killed 2 of the older chicks. Big time bummer. So, I've instated a whole new pain-in-the-rear chicken rotation routine so that the chicks stay safe. Lost too many last year to repeat.

Anyway, did I tell y'all that I started a natural food co-op/buying club here in Calico Rock? I think I might have. Anyway, I've gotten a couple new members lately - 9 total. There's more interest around here than I thought!

Gotta run & take my daughter's friend home. Will be back soon!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  05:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so we've ALL (my two little ones and myself) have been down with pneumonia. Yep. I *CANNOT* believe it. They say that it's not contagious, so I'm guessing that our immune systems were just collectively overrun by the cold, and we all got it. Talk about painful! I've coughed before so much that my stomach muscles hurt, but never before have my LUNGS hurt. I can just imagine what my little babes are feeling like! Yuck. I think we're rounding the corner, however, because nobody had fevers last night, although our house was pretty loud with coughing...

So, Jen - good job with the 'possum! That's so scary to have to go hand-to-hand with things that are getting your animals - at least it is for me! What's your chicken rotation?

That is so cool that you have a food co-op thing going where you are. That's AWESOME! Isn't it neat how many people are really interested in doing things the healthy way when they know HOW to do it? Way to get things moving...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  07:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dang, Libbie - that's NOT a fun way to start the summer. I know what you mean about the lung pain - awful. My fingers are crossed, hoping you're all on the upswing now.

Well, as if life wasn't busy enough here on the Flying Mulberry Farm, we just added 4 more dogs to the mix! There's been a stray blue heeler around town for a couple of months. I tried to coax and catch her time and again, but she wouldn't even come close. She seemed every bit as wild as a coyote. When she disappeared a few weeks ago, I thought she must have been hit by a car, but then she showed up again looking scrawny and obviously lactating. So, then I knew there was a litter of pups to be found too. (I know, I must be a glutton for stress, but I'm not very good at turning my back!)

To make a long goose chase short, Friday night my husband and I found ourselves wading through knee-deep poison ivy to get to an old dead-end culvert pipe that the dog was using as a den. Incredibly, she was in it with her pups, so I held the door of our dog cage against the open end, and Chris dug the dirt out of the other end so that he could gently prod her. She came right into the cage to my amazement, and we dug 3 fat pups out from under a tangle of tree roots, cute as can be.

So, now “Kate” is safe and sound in a kennel here at the house with her pups. She is so happy and gaining trust (and weight) every day. It's a beautiful thing. We'll probably adopt out at least 2 of the pups next month, but what happens with the 3rd and Kate remains to be seen. She's stolen my heart already, and my husband is pretty fond of that pup...

Jen

Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Libbie, hang in there, I hope you are all feeling much better by now. As if being sick isn't hard enough it's absolutely atrocious to watch your little ones go through it. But, it will make you all stronger! Hope you have been able to get plenty of rest Get well soon, Traci
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  8:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Libbie- I hope you and the family are feeling better. There is nothing worse than trying to breath and having your own body rebel against you, then have it punish you even more for not giving it enough air!!

Jen- It sounds like you are having a busy busy summer! Let us know how the dogs are!

Welcome to the Outpost Traci!!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Welcome: Previous Topic What'chall up to Today? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000